You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-22 00:29:55

amottaz

ATI Driver issues - boot hangs on startup

I have a Dell Inspiron 570 (specs). It recently froze while trying to install a program, and after looking through the forums it sounded like installing the catalyst driver for my GPU (ATI Radeon HD 4200) could help. Unfortunately, instead of following the ARCH wiki, I downloaded the driver installation software from the AMD website. I downloaded this file

amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.zip

During installation, I got an error -- here are the contents of /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log:

Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Unloading radeon module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module drm is in use by: ttm drm_kms_helper radeon
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
Error:
kernel includes at /lib/modules/4.4.5-1-ARCH/build/include do not match current kernel.
they are versioned as ""
instead of "4.4.5-1-ARCH".
you might need to adjust your symlinks:
- /usr/include
- /usr/src/linux
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.

After this happened, I rebooted my computer, and the boot stopped at

[  OK  ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

I could login using ctrl-alt-F2, so I did that and then tried to follow the instructions in the ARCH wiki on installing catalyst, hoping that this would resolve the issues. However, I was unable to install catalyst due to conflict with xorg-server.

The last thing I did was follow these instructions to install the open source version (which I think was already installed... but I was getting desperate). This did not work, and now when I boot it stops at

[    5.861400] dell_smm_hwmon: unable to get SMM Dell signature

This message has been here before, but the computer always booted just fine. What can I do to get my graphics card working again?

UPDATE: I found out that radeon was blacklisted in the kernel module blacklisting. After commenting out that line, my computer boots to the GNOME login screen, but after entering my password, the login screen "resets". Any ideas?

Last edited by amottaz (2016-03-22 00:49:09)

#2 2016-03-22 01:13:10

amottaz

Re: ATI Driver issues - boot hangs on startup

I solved the problem -- I ran

bash /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh

then reinstalled all of the following:

pacman -S xf86-video-ati mesa mesa-libgl

Everything worked after rebooting!

#3 2016-03-22 05:40:00

Docbroke

Re: ATI Driver issues - boot hangs on startup

if it works with open-source driver, there is no need to mess with catalyst, please mark this solved, by editing your first post and prepending [solved] to the title.

Board footer