You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-22 17:22:30

nicholat

Connection to TV with HDMI, seems to connect, but no video or audio

Hey all.

So, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong, but after spending a couple of hours scouring related posts and problems, I haven't found anything.

I'm connecting to an external monitor (a TV), and it seems to be registering the connection,

xrandr --output HDMI1

doesn't output anything, and I can move my mouse off screen as if into the external screen. When I connect the cable, the TV screen goes from black to completely blue, and after a while returns to a screensaver. This makes it seem like both the PC and TV knows there's a connection, but there's no video or audio.

Any seasoned archers out there who can help? Would greatly appreciate it.

#2 2016-03-22 23:37:45

JohnBobSmith

Re: Connection to TV with HDMI, seems to connect, but no video or audio

Greetings,

On my system this seems to be handled automatically, note that I am using AMD's catalyst driver. This may be stating the obvious and is not meant to offend, but have you tried checking that the TV is set to HDMI and that devices are powered? Using the remote, some sort of source > input > HDMI or something of the sorts. Also, your graphics card make/model with any relevant driver info would be helpful. My best guess right now is that it very well could be an Xorg issue, and for that I'm certain there is documentation in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xo … e_monitors One thing you could try is asking xrandr to mirror your input, something like (and do not copy/paste this, not tested!!) xrandr --output HDMI1 --left-of LVDS. That should do something, though please edit/correct the command for your system.

If you can generate any specific errors, that would be of great help. Otherwise, hopefully someone can assist further. smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-03-22 23:56:47

nicholat

Re: Connection to TV with HDMI, seems to connect, but no video or audio

Yeah, the devices are definitely powered. Like I mentioned, when I plug it in, the computer screen goes black for a split second as it usually does when successfully connecting it, and the TV screen responds as well, but just turns blue; after a while, it goes into screensaver mode. Like I also mentioned, I can move my cursor out of the screen on the right hand side, as if there was indeed a second screen there.

I'm rocking an Intel Graphics integrated graphics unit, not the best, but I've successfully connected to screen via HDMI many times before. Its driver is:

Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Board footer