You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-28 13:13:32

Al3s

[SOLVED]Screen goes on and off randomly

I'm having this problem, I think, since around the time I changed monitor and graphics card, about 2 months ago. It doesn't matter if I'm on desktop or fullscreen application/game,the screen goes off for about 2 seconds and then goes on again as if nothing happened. It's totally random, sometimes it can go for hours without happening, sometimes it happens multiple times within seconds, My monitor it's ASUS MG279Q  and graphics card it's an AMD r9 390 (with open source driver). I don't think it has to do with faulty hardware since it doesn't happen in my Windows partition. Also I've tried different Linux distributions and it keeps happening even at install. I think it happened even before running X when I installed Arch. Another thing that bothers me but I don't know if it has something to do with this problem is that X doesn't work out of the box with the resolution+hz mode that my screen suports (2560x1440 144Hz) and I had to fix it with xrandr, but as I said I don't know if it's related. I noticed that when the problem happens, an error pops up on tty2:

mar 28 14:34:20 fetus kernel: [drm:radeon_dp_link_train [radeon]] *ERROR* channel eq failed: 5 tries
mar 28 14:34:20 fetus kernel: [drm:radeon_dp_link_train [radeon]] *ERROR* channel eq failed

I learned today about journalctl, since I had few problems with arch in the past, and it shows this kind of error whenever the problem arise.

Any help or hint about what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Al3s (2016-04-01 11:50:19)

#2 2016-03-29 17:22:52

Al3s

Re: [SOLVED]Screen goes on and off randomly

No suggestions? Ugh, I don't want to install catalyst.

#3 2016-03-31 17:29:23

Al3s

Re: [SOLVED]Screen goes on and off randomly

You now what? After two months with this problem making my life miserable, all of a sudden it stopped happening. It hasn't happened since around 20hours. I guess it got fixed with some package update or something but now I'm curious what could have been.

Board footer