You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-31 17:01:32

kaar

High CPU usage on Thinkpad Yoga 260 in idle

I just got my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 260 and installed Arch. The installation went fine with the kernel parameter intel_pstate=no_hwp (there is an intel skylake bug). But then I noticed that the fans were spinning suspiciously fast with the CPU usage of the first core at 50%. All of this without me doing anything. htop didn't tell me about any intense processes going on either. All of them were around 0-2%.

This was already the case with the arch installer. However, inside the UEFI the usage drops. Unfortunately I didn't try the Laptop in Windows 10, so I can't tell if this is Linux specific or not. Just got to the Windows installation screen to see if it would boot at all.

To test if the added kernel parameter was at fault, I compiled linux-mainline kernel at v4.5 with the new patch that is supposed to fix the bug. But the problem remained.

I have no clue how to find out why the CPU usage is so high. I would really appreciate if you could help me?

EDIT: I forgot to add the "rw" flag in the systemd-boot .conf before I installed gnome. I don't think though that this caused it, because the installer got the laptop hot too.

Board footer