You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-01 05:25:36

MrGrim

BIOS is no longer seeing Arch.

I have a triple hard drive set up, one ssd is Windows 7, one ssd is Arch, and one is storage. I have been going into the BIOS and switching the boot order when I wanted to go between systems (not the most elegant set up but my build has a really easy access BIOS menu)  I have used the Arch OS on the ssd many times so I know that the install works, and I have booted into an Arch live iso to verify everything is still there and the Arch drive is working perfectly.  I'm able to access everything from the live iso. 

The BIOS on the computer updated this morning and now the BIOS doesn't recognize the Arch drive as a bootable drive.  The drive is listed in the hd preferences list, but not in the boot list.  The install is set up in UEFI boot mode and I'm using Grub for a bootloader.  Windows still boots up fine.

I have read you can reset the BIOS and start back at factory settings however I am a little hesitant to start messing around with software on the motherboard that does actually work.  I won't be doing anymore updates on the firmware though unless something breaks.  I was leaning towards tinkering with Grub or possibly even replacing it if necessary. If I absolutely have to I think I can go in and save my files onto an external disk and reinstall, but I'm hoping somebody here has some ideas about how to fix whats going on without a total reinstall or resetting the board.

Any help is appreciated, I've googled the situation and haven't come up with much in the way of relevant results.

#2 2016-04-01 05:38:59

prash

Re: BIOS is no longer seeing Arch.

My BIOS never auto-detected any linux boot partitions. If your system is like mine, this should help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HP … UEFI_Setup

Last edited by prash (2016-04-01 05:39:26)

#3 2016-04-01 22:50:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: BIOS is no longer seeing Arch.

Load up the Arch live ISO and post the full output of:

efibootmgr -v
parted -l

You can use a pastebin client to generate URLs that can be posted here, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/li … in_clients

Please also indicate your chosen mountpoints.

Board footer