You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-09 21:05:09

Kale Good

How to troubleshoot Lag (?) Issues; Source Engine

Hello,
I'm not much of a gamer, but I recently bought half-life 2. It's quite laggy I think, but I might have the wrong terminology. The frame frequently freezes for a (problematically long) while and then jumps to the current frame. In any case, I've fiddled around with all the video settings; this occours even with everything on the lowest possible setting. I assumed that my (almost) bottom-of-the-barrel pc from 2014 could run a game from 2004 without breaking much of a sweat, but I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

Proc: Pentium G3258 (3.2 GHz x 2 cores)
GPU: GeForce GT 610 (I assume this is the culprit)
Memory: 8 gigs
HD: The system is on a SSD, the hard drive is on a 7200 (IRCC) 1 TB drive.
DE: Cinnamon

I am currently using  __GLVND_DISALLOW_PATCHING=1 to launch steam due to the OpenGL library issues.

Wow. Now I'm noticing lag while simply typing this out. So maybe the problem runs deeper than I thought. Really not sure how to troubleshoot this one. My first thought is to install a Window Manager and see if the issue is still there; any easier steps I could take first?

#2 2016-04-11 11:37:07

wudu

Re: How to troubleshoot Lag (?) Issues; Source Engine

If that occures while typing there could be a process periodically utilizing your CPU heavily. You could try to run the top command to see if that's the case.

Board footer