You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-10 05:52:13

Diff

LightDM's gtk greeter after the 3.20 update

I just updated my system earlier today and all GTK3 apps started throwing fits. Any and all padding on anything and everything was thrown out the window. Reinstalling gtk3 didn't help, so I tried reinstalling arch. Unfortunately that only made things worse. Now instead of getting a broken gnome-shell and broken GTK3 apps, I have broken sessions. XFCE4 and GNOME 3 are both refusing to start, and lightdm-gtk-greeter doesn't seem too happy about things, either. It's decided to take up permanent residence on my secondary monitor while the top panel is sitting halfway on both monitors. I installed Openbox and it seems fine, and the GTK3 apps I've tried in openbox look normal when opened. Not sure where to look for GNOME and XFCE deathlogs. I checked out /var/log/Xorg.0.log but it looks like it starts up normally then it says it terminated successfully. Lightdm's gtk greeter logs had this to say:

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:647): Gtk-WARNING **: Drawing a gadget with negative dimensions. Did you forget to allocate a size? (node menubar owner GreeterMenuBar)

Looked through the bug tracker and didn't see anything relevant-looking, figured I'd post here and make sure that the problem wasn't "I'm a moron" before submitting a bug report.

Last edited by Diff (2016-04-10 13:19:52)

#2 2016-04-10 05:55:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: LightDM's gtk greeter after the 3.20 update

Have you read any of the many "Gnome is broken" threads here? The tl;dr is your theme is broken, install one that has been updated to work with the new Gnome...

Also, please edit your post and choose a title that reflects your issue, not your borlderline hysteria: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-04-10 12:05:29

Diff

I did actually. Didn't help. Even Adwaita was dead. At least, it was before the reinstall. From the looks of the GTK greeter when I reinstalled I assumed the case was still the same, since it got reset back to Adwaita which is pretty well guaranteed not to be broken, right? Sorry about the title, I figured "GTK3 is dead" was enough. I got rid of the hysteria now.

EDIT: alright, I had created a new user before the reinstall to check if it was just my user, and he was stuck with the same issues I had. After the reinstall, new user can log into GNOME and XFCE, but lightdm is still screwed up even on Adwaita.

EDIT2: After clearing out every one of GNOME's files that I could find from my home directory, I can log into GNOME and XFCE again. Lightdm-gtk-greeter still flips out, and occasionally when I change the selected user in the drop down list it'll freeze up, lock my cursor in the middle of my monitor, and start blinking rapidly and chewing on a core of my CPU. Switching to a tty and restarting lightdm works fine.

Last edited by Diff (2016-04-10 13:21:51)

#4 2016-04-10 22:00:32

sigz

I have the same issue with lightdm, it does only display on secondary monitor now, login window doesn't follow cursor like previously, background only display on one monitor, and my theme is broken on gtk3 apps ... again (as like every gtk3 update...).

#5 2016-04-11 00:54:43

Diff

sigz wrote:

I have the same issue with lightdm, it does only display on secondary monitor now, login window doesn't follow cursor like previously, background only display on one monitor, and my theme is broken on gtk3 apps ... again (as like every gtk3 update...).

Do you also have an nvidia GPU? And what's going on in /var/log/lightdm/?

#6 2016-04-11 07:39:46

sigz

the same as you in the gtk-greeter log,

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:8218): Gtk-WARNING **: Drawing a gadget with negative dimensions. Did you forget to allocate a size? (node menubar owner GreeterMenuBar)

but it's just a warning, and I don't really know if it was already occuring previously.
(yes I have an nvidia gpu)

Last edited by sigz (2016-04-11 16:08:52)

#7 2016-04-11 18:17:06

sigz

I reversed gtk3 package to 3.18 and all works fine again, so I think the gtk3.20 breaks the lightdm-gtk-greeter.
This is not the first time this greeter is broken by a gtk upgrade.

I think it has been reported there https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk- … ug/1568505

(I'm a little bit pissed off by gtk constantly breaking software using it...)

Last edited by sigz (2016-04-11 18:20:41)

Board footer