You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-11 01:25:13

Cadeyrn

Running NVidia & nouveau at the same time?

I'm getting desperate here. I know this is supposed to be impossible, but I'm getting really desparate. Basically, I have two NVidia cards. The reason I have 2 is a long story with VMs (and that story is going great). A GT 740 and GTX 960. Again because of the VM, I need the 740 to be the main card and the 960 to be the gaming one. I've "upgraded" from running an Arch VM on my Arch host just to game with the 960 to running both at once on separate monitors, but because nouveau doesn't have real Maxwell support yet, I'm having to do it with the proprietary driver. I hate the proprietary driver. It's full of so many small and painful bugs and just generally doesn't work well for everything that ISN'T gaming.

Recently, I stumbled upon this: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments … fter_vfio/

So, thanks to DRI3 it's possible to have 2 GPUs serving the same X screen with which card a program uses being set by an environment variable. That's absolutely amazing. I need that, but the proprietary driver doesn't support it, and nouveau doesn't support my 960. Can we try to investigate ways to run both drivers at once for each card? I don't care how hacky it ends up being.

Last edited by Cadeyrn (2016-04-11 01:28:27)

Board footer