You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-11 19:59:29

grouse

VLC performance issues playing video inside .rar archives

Hi,

I'm having some issues getting VLC to play video files compressed in .rar archives. The videos play, but they're very blocky, as if the decoder for some reason isn't keeping up with the stream.

I've tested with a bunch of different videos and I've confirmed that they're not corrupt or anything like that as they play fine if I play them in VLC on Windows. To give an example one of the videos I'm trying to play is a H264 encoded 720x416 video at 23.97 FPS in an mkv container, the uncompressed video is 145.3MB large at 23:56 minutes, compressed as 10 rar files (r00-r08 + main rar) ~15MB each.

I've tested moving the archives to my SSD with no difference in performance.

I know this has worked on a previous arch install on a previous system and I'm not having much luck googling my way to an answer and I can't find anything that fits the description on the Arch wiki, any help is much appreciated.

#2 2016-04-12 12:12:37

Lone_Wolf

Re: VLC performance issues playing video inside .rar archives

Do the files play correctly when extracted manually ?

If yes, you may have found a problem in vlc's internal mechanism to deal with compressed files.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-04-12 18:01:19

grouse

Re: VLC performance issues playing video inside .rar archives

Sorry, thought I included that in my first post - Extracting the videos from the .rar and playing those work fine.

I've had a look at the VLC bug-tracker and can't seem to find anything that relates to my problem. Although it's likely as you say, something in VLC causing the problem, I find it odd that I'd be the only one with the problem.

It does give me an idea though, I'll check out the VLC repo and test out a few different versions and see if anything in there has already solved it. In the meanwhile, any further help or ideas is much appreciated.

Board footer