You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-14 02:11:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Pulseaudio on JACK - anyone runs such a setup permanently?

I'm mainly using pulseaudio for audio, but recently have had to do some midi work. ALSA midi with pulseaudio playback just has way too much latency, so I'm using JACK2 for that.

Previously JACK2 used to have a bug where suspending the laptop would result in 100% CPU usage and some crazy log-writing behaviour, but I accidentally suspended my laptop and it just continued to work after resuming from suspend.

Which got me thinking, why not just run JACK all the time and run pulseaudio on top of it. This means I wouldn't have to do anything special when doing MIDI/recording work, setup-wise.

Any disadvantages? Besides battery life, this laptop is basically a desktop due to the age of the battery anyway.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2016-04-17 11:48:38

OldFuzzface

Re: Pulseaudio on JACK - anyone runs such a setup permanently?

I do, but not on a laptop. Works just fine, jack gets started via .xprofile ("jack_control start"), as there is this weird bug in XFCE which freezes the desktop if I put qjackctl into autostart (this might be my nvidia card), but whatever. So it gets autostarted like this, and PA has jack_sink set as default device. No problems whatsoever. Suspend/resume also keeps this setup intact.

#3 2016-04-18 01:26:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

OldFuzzface wrote:

I do, but not on a laptop. Works just fine, jack gets started via .xprofile ("jack_control start"), as there is this weird bug in XFCE which freezes the desktop if I put qjackctl into autostart (this might be my nvidia card), but whatever. So it gets autostarted like this, and PA has jack_sink set as default device. No problems whatsoever. Suspend/resume also keeps this setup intact.

Is this machine dedicated to recording related things or used for general purpose (web browsing, 'office' type stuff)?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2016-04-18 11:26:51

OldFuzzface

Both, in fact. It's not a professional studio setup, but recording my hardware (some synths, an Octatrack and guitar stuff) via a Scarlett 2i4 in 24/96 (5ms), mixing in Bitwig and play softsynths via midi at the same time without any problems is very pleasing. Everything not music related also "just works" as every program which requires PA can use it just like normal.

Board footer