You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-14 06:18:15

unbeliever536

Sphinx requires python-imagesize

The Sphinx documentation builder now requires the python package imagesize, and upstream seems to be unwilling to move*. Imagesize is a bit more than 100 lines of python, and an immense number of packages use sphinx to build their documentation, so the easiest solution is probably just to package imagesize. For what it's worth, I checked a couple of other distributions, and they don't seem to be packaging imagesize right now either. (If this is the wrong place to post this, I'm sorry. It didn't seem right to file a bug against the sphinx package in arch for an issue the maintainer can't really resolve, and this seemed like the rightest place on the forum.)

*I'm not the person that filed that bug against sphinx; I just discovered this an hour or so ago.

Last edited by unbeliever536 (2016-04-14 06:18:54)

#2 2016-04-14 06:21:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Sphinx requires python-imagesize

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-04-14 06:47:58

unbeliever536

Let me clarify, then: python-sphinx is currently packaged in community, but python-imagesize is only packaged in the AUR. I am going to install it from the AUR as a quick fix, but I'd like to flag the issue for the maintainers of community so they can decide what to do about it (my suggestion there is to just pull the package into community). If this is the wrong place for that, please point me to the right one.

#4 2016-04-14 06:48:50

arojas
Developer

unbeliever536 wrote:

I'm sorry. It didn't seem right to file a bug against the sphinx package in arch for an issue the maintainer can't really resolve, and this seemed like the rightest place on the forum.)

What do you mean by "the maintainer can't really solve"? If sphinx now depends on imagesize, then that's exactly the kind of thing that the maintainer has to solve, unless I am missing something. Please report it to bugs.archlinux.org

#5 2016-04-14 06:59:59

unbeliever536

arojas wrote:
unbeliever536 wrote:

I'm sorry. It didn't seem right to file a bug against the sphinx package in arch for an issue the maintainer can't really resolve, and this seemed like the rightest place on the forum.)

What do you mean by "the maintainer can't really solve"? If sphinx now depends on imagesize, then that's exactly the kind of thing that the maintainer has to solve, unless I am missing something. Please report it to bugs.archlinux.org

I wouldn't necessarily expect a package maintainer to resolve an issue caused by the upstream developer deciding to use a module that isn't officially packaged/supported. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, though. Off to file that bug then.

#6 2016-04-14 09:39:43

x33a
Forum Fellow

unbeliever536 wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily expect a package maintainer to resolve an issue caused by the upstream developer deciding to use a module that isn't officially packaged/supported. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, though. Off to file that bug then.

This is exactly the duty of the packager to make sure that all dependencies for his/her package are fulfilled. If for some reason the packager isn't able to package the new dependency officially, then such a package is usually dropped.

Board footer