You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-16 03:05:56

searene

Where can I find the log about /etc/lightdm/Xsession?

Currently some code in /etc/lightdm/Xsession is not executed correctly, to know why I need to find out its log. The first few lines of /etc/lightdm/Xsession is as follows:

#!/bin/sh
#
# LightDM wrapper to run around X sessions.

echo "Running X session wrapper"

So I guess, if there's a file containing Xsession's output, the file should at least contain "Running X session wrapper". But I cannot find it with journalctl:

journalctl /usr/bin/lightdm -b

I even searched the whole /var/log directory with grep, still to no avail. Then I tried to redirect its output to a file, like this:

echo "Running X session wrapper" > /tmp/temp_xsession.log 2>&1

after which, I couldn't even login, I have no idea why. Removing the redirection fixed the problem.

So where can I find /etc/lightdm/Xsession's output or log?

#2 2016-04-16 06:46:01

loafer

Re: Where can I find the log about /etc/lightdm/Xsession?

It would be best if you explained which code in lightdm Xsession is at fault, how you determined that and what the symptoms and errors are.  What problem are you trying to fix?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2016-05-25 21:57:30

rast1234

I googled on similar issue and finally came back here, to arch forums smile

I am trying to execute some xrandr commands at the start of DM. As i see in lightdm config, it executes /etc/lightdm/Xsession, which in turn executes different scripts, also from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d. I made a script which definetly works and puts debug logs in /tmp, it gets called, but xrandr settings don't apply! And i am unable to find logs of Xsession "Running X session wrapper". WTF?

BTW, also tried executing my script from option display-setup-script but it seems too eraly to xrandr set scaling and panning from that stage...

EDIT: ok i tried harder and it is obvious now that Xsession script works (i added lines like "date >> /tmp/xsession.log"). It calls my script but then DM starts and overrides xrandr settings. See this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/445957/w … 050#446050
Then i tried to use option session-setup-script but it does not call anything! even "sleep 100" or "echo 123 > /tmp/test"

Last edited by rast1234 (2016-05-25 22:22:03)

#4 2016-05-25 23:21:31

ewaller
Administrator

I believe that using lightdm causes things about Xorg to be logged to the journal.   I don't use a display manager, so I cannot check, but I think that behavior is common to all display managers now.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2018-11-04 22:59:25

cengic

By adding -x option to the #!/bin/sh line in /etc/lightdm/Xsession I've been able to see that the output is in $HOME/.xsession-errors. However the output from the echo commands still does not appear in the file. Here is the output that I've got and the result from the echo commands should have been shown immediately below the "+ echo ..." lines.

+ echo 'Running X session wrapper'
+ for file in "/etc/profile" "$HOME/.profile" "/etc/xprofile" "$HOME/.xprofile"
+ '[' -f /etc/profile ']'
+ echo 'Loading profile from /etc/profile'
+ . /etc/profile

#6 2018-11-04 23:07:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer