You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-17 12:57:11

lithiumds

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga

Hello,

I recently got my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga and wanted to share some hints about getting Arch to run on this awesome machine.
In parts, I have been successful but I still encounter some problems (related to the Intel Skylake architecture and the Wacom tablet).
I though of creating a corresponding wiki page, but I don't have permissions to do so.

General info

My vendor model number is `20FRS01V00` with the following specs:
* i5-6200U (2.3 - 2.8GHz)
* 8GB RAM
* 14" WQHD Touch-LED 2560x1440
*  Intel HD 520
*  WLAN AC-8260

Output of `sudo dmidecode | grep Version`:

Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
	Version: N1FET34W (1.08 )
	Version: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4th
	Version: Not Defined
	Version: None
	SBDS Version: 03.01
		uCode Version
		ME Firmware Version
		SKL PCH H Bx Hsio Version
		SKL PCH H Dx Hsio Version
		SKL PCH LP Bx Hsio Version
		SKL PCH LP Cx Hsio Version
		SA - PCIe Version

Skylake problems

As pointed out in several places online, booting at all needs the kernel parameter

intel_pstate=no_hwp

to be set.

Another problem are complete freezes of X, which have to do with my dual screen setup:
Irrespective of whether I connect the external screen directly to the Yoga (both HDMI or VGA) or whether I use VGA over the OneLink+ dock, the system completely freezes (SysRq magic doesn't work, only hard reboot is possible) on adjusting my dual screen Layout in Gnome's display settings.

Interestingly, this only happens when I place the second screen  above in such a way, that its lower left corner is left and on top of the the laptop screen's upper left corner, so possibly this has to do with some negative numbers?
The freezes happens more or less randomly when I rearrange my dual screens set-up by rearranging the layout of the two screens.

I tried the various kernel parameter / Xorg.conf settings suggested in the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/in … tel_driver), but that didn't seem to help.

Can you guys help me troubleshoot this problem?

Wacom problems

The Yoga has an active Wacom Touchscreen as a display.
However, it does not seem to be supported yet and when I login to GNOME I get the notification "Unknown Tablet connected", which I understand is the default message when fallback configurations are used (https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits … 07345.html).

`lsusb | grep Wacom` lists it as

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 056a:503f Wacom Co., Ltd

Actually, applications now register three Wacom-Input related devices:
* Touchscreen (finger)
* Pen (stylus)
* Pen (eraser)

`xsetwacom --list devices` gives:

Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen stylus	id: 10	type: STYLUS    
Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen eraser	id: 18	type: ERASER   

As it seems, the device talks to the OS in the "Eraser mode", when I hold one of the two buttons pressed, and else uses the stylus mode. This is a little confusing and makes gesure recognition with `easystroke` etc. using a stylus unpractical.

Can you point me in the direction of finding the right drivers for my device?

Thanks so much. Once I get most of the tablet/Yoga functionality properly working,  I would really like to write a full manual/troubleshooting guide for the wiki.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Last edited by lithiumds (2016-04-17 16:05:30)

#2 2016-04-19 08:16:40

iroha

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga

the cpu hwp bug  Bug Report 110941
is now fixed and closed. Should hit arch repos with the 4.6 Kernel.
Maybe also the next 4.5 ... not sure.

#3 2016-04-23 00:53:21

moritx

Hi Bernhard,

I have the same problem as you with my X1 Yoga: system freezes once I try to switch the screen setup (also when using the DP output on the onelink+) . I've also had no success with kernel parameters and xconf.

Does anyone have further recommendations?

Thank you,
Moritz

#4 2016-05-28 16:35:13

lithiumds

Hi,

the graphic problems have gone away, but I don't quite remember how I fixed it. Make sure that you are on kernel >=4.5.
[Also,  for kernel 4.6. the `intel_pstate` thing is fixed, and you don't need any special kernel parameters anymore.]

As for packages I have xf86-video-intel package installed.
I can remember that I had to deleta/rename the `20-intel.conf` (or equivalent) file in `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d`

Does that help?

On a side remark, my touchscreen stopped working (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=211654)

Best,
Bernhard

#5 2016-06-15 01:14:46

moritx

Hi Bernhard,

upgrading the Kernel seems to have done the trick. Thank you! (and sorry for replying so late, had gone back to my old laptop for a few weeks to get some work done)

Glad you also resolved the touch-screen issues.

Thanks a lot,
Moritz

Last edited by moritx (2016-06-15 01:15:35)

#6 2016-06-15 10:01:38

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Make sure you update the firmware/bios to the latest available version, as it can include fixes for weird problems.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#7 2016-06-15 19:09:47

Phrosgone

I have trouble with my Pen. I use Xournal and I can write, but I can't get the buttons to work properly. I want the eraser on one button 2 and on button 3 Select Rectangle. Button 2 works, but button 3 has no function at all. I searched for solutions, but did not find anything that worked. Any ideas?

#8 2016-06-18 19:29:05

pggbee

Have you had any issues with wifi and sleep? Three times now my NIC vanishes and doesn't come back after reboots. lspci shows no trace of the card whatsoever.

Twice I opened the bottom to see if the wireless card was in there properly, and disconnected and reconnected the antenna leads. Twice that worked when I booted after doing so. This latest time though, nothing. I've taken the NIC out and put it back in and nothing. No mention of it in dmesg, nor lspci.

I guess I should just take it in to the shop.

Board footer