You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-19 12:32:31

corruption2013

Diablo III Crossover vs PlayOnLinux

Hi guys,

i know this thread isn't really arch related, but i hope i can get some help here.

I need help to optimize diablo III on my archlinux desktop computer.

I have tried PlayOnLinux and Crossover to install it.

My System:
Intel i7 2600
Geforce 660TI with 2GB
16 GB DDR-Memory

Result:

PlayOnLinux: 40 fps on very low settings
Noticeable: low cpu usage ~ 20% on every cpu-thread

Crossover: 140 fps on high settings
Noticeable: high cpu usage ~100% on 1 cpu-thread, the other cpu-threads are on 20%

Since Crossover is a wine wrapper, it must be possible to get the same results with pure wine with a little bit of extra work, right?

Is there a way to get same frames with PlayOnLinux? What can i optimize here? How can i force wine to use full cpu?

Steps i tried so far:
- Use linux-stageing with enabled CSMT got me a little more fps, but still not on crossover level
- taskset to force D3 to use only 1 cpu-thread, changed nothing.

I don't want to pay 48€ for a single game, so i will stick with wine / playonlinux anyways, but i know that there must be a performance tweak im not aware of by now.

If i get good results with any tips here i will create a new, better, Diablo 3 play on linux install script for the community.

Thanks for your posts!

Last edited by corruption2013 (2016-04-19 23:27:12)

#2 2016-04-19 15:45:01

d00maz

Re: Diablo III Crossover vs PlayOnLinux

Funny,my specs are worse and i get more fps,regular wine from reps.

#3 2016-04-19 15:49:24

corruption2013

d00maz wrote:

Funny,my specs are worse and i get more fps,regular wine from reps.

Wine or Wine-staging? Both in the regular reps:

multilib/wine 1.9.8-1 [Installed]
    A compatibility layer for running Windows programs
multilib/wine-staging 1.9.8-1
    A compatibility layer for running Windows programs - Staging branch

What GPU are you using? Can you give me some informations about your CPU usage per thread while in game? Is one thread on 100%?

Any start parameter for D3?

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by corruption2013 (2016-04-19 15:50:47)

#4 2016-04-19 23:44:02

nstgc

CrossOver uses a forked version of Wine. The wine project tries to avoid hacks, however they are included in CrossOver. Since D3 is somewhat popular there is a good chance that there is a hack that helps with it.

#5 2016-04-20 00:20:23

headkase

nstgc wrote:

CrossOver uses a forked version of Wine. The wine project tries to avoid hacks, however they are included in CrossOver. Since D3 is somewhat popular there is a good chance that there is a hack that helps with it.

Actually, CrossOver is the "leading edge" of WINE.  Buying CrossOver funds development and those improvements eventually make their way into WINE.  The two are joined at the hip with that official relationship.

#6 2016-04-20 16:41:45

nstgc

No. In fact the current version of CrossOver is based on Wine 1.8.1.

edit: Not that this means it's out dated. CodeWeavers backports stuff from the testing branch of Wine and also applies their own hacks.

Last edited by nstgc (2016-04-20 16:42:44)

#7 2016-04-22 21:45:32

Hydranix

I used to play Diablo III on Linux with a GTX 260 and Ivy Bridge i5 without any lag or issues on high settings. It took some configuring though.

I used to compile and use wine-multimedia from the AUR for its pulseaudio support and d3dstream patches, but that project looks to be inactive now. Maybe the patches were merged into wine.

I suggest compiling wine yourself, things worked better for me that way, but YMMV.

Then I'd download lastest winetricks

curl -o winetricks 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks'
chmod +x winetricks
./winetricks

and inistall the MSVC runtimes and all of the directx libs. Then I'd apply some of the config tweaks, but it's been years since I've done this and can't remember the exact options used.

#8 2016-04-23 10:53:16

Soukyuu

I tried playing with a 260GTX (see system in sig) and the most I get is 40fps, dropping to 15-30 on act 3 onwards. Tried both wine and wine-staging, but it doesn't seem to change anything.
So it looks like the tweaks and options do make the most difference.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#9 2016-04-23 21:30:04

corruption2013

Well, you can try crossover, too. Its in the AUR and you get a 15 days trial version... i bet you will get >80fps with your specs in crossover... the question is why tongue

Last edited by corruption2013 (2016-04-24 00:39:25)

#10 2016-04-23 21:33:21

headkase

nstgc wrote:

No. In fact the current version of CrossOver is based on Wine 1.8.1.

edit: Not that this means it's out dated. CodeWeavers backports stuff from the testing branch of Wine and also applies their own hacks.

See: Here.

CodeWeavers wrote:

If you do choose to purchase CrossOver, you can feel good knowing that you've indirectly supported the Wine Project. Every improvement we make to Wine goes back to the Wine Project, which makes the computing world more open and compatible for everyone.

In the broad strokes what I said was pretty correct.  In the details, well, I'm always open to facts. wink

#11 2016-04-24 19:05:42

aoba

corruption2013 wrote:

...the question is why tongue

Have you looked at the CrossOver .tie file [1] for Diablo 3?  For starters, I noticed that (it looks like) it overrides dbghelp (native,builtin) and installs the MSVC++ 2008 runtime.  It includes other tweaks as well (that I have not listed here because the file is huge) that might be worth trying.

[1] https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili … diablo-iii - click "Install Now"

#12 2016-04-24 21:07:22

nstgc

@headkase:

15.0.1 CrossOver - January 13, 2016
Mac OS X:
Fixes for various user interface bugs on OS X 10.8
General Improvements
The final, release version of Wine 1.8 has been merged into this release.
We now have better support for display of Chinese characters in situations where not all Chinese fonts are available.
Various non-English translations have been improved.
Application Support:
The backup feature in Quicken has been fixed.
Quicken versions 2004 and earlier are again able to open database files.
Fixed a bug which prevented StarCraft from running on OS X.
Fixed a bug which prevented South Park: Stick of Truth from running.
Linux:
CrossOver will install successfully on CentOS 6.7.
CrossOver will install successfully when D-Bus fails.

CodeWeavers is the main contributor to the Wine project (hell, they host the website), I'm not saying it's not. I am saying that their releases are base on Wine. My point is that you aren't just paying for Wine with a fancy UI. You are getting Wine that has been polished and patched for optimal performance (both in terms of stability and speed) as well as product support.

#13 2016-04-24 22:51:58

headkase

nstgc wrote:

@headkase:

15.0.1 CrossOver - January 13, 2016
Mac OS X:
Fixes for various user interface bugs on OS X 10.8
General Improvements
The final, release version of Wine 1.8 has been merged into this release.
We now have better support for display of Chinese characters in situations where not all Chinese fonts are available.
Various non-English translations have been improved.
Application Support:
The backup feature in Quicken has been fixed.
Quicken versions 2004 and earlier are again able to open database files.
Fixed a bug which prevented StarCraft from running on OS X.
Fixed a bug which prevented South Park: Stick of Truth from running.
Linux:
CrossOver will install successfully on CentOS 6.7.
CrossOver will install successfully when D-Bus fails.

CodeWeavers is the main contributor to the Wine project (hell, they host the website), I'm not saying it's not. I am saying that their releases are base on Wine. My point is that you aren't just paying for Wine with a fancy UI. You are getting Wine that has been polished and patched for optimal performance (both in terms of stability and speed) as well as product support.

We agree.  I own a current license to CrossOver but I find PlayOnLinux to be better in that it is much more flexible in choosing your versions and configurations.

#14 2016-04-25 13:10:58

corruption2013

aoba wrote:
corruption2013 wrote:

...the question is why tongue

Have you looked at the CrossOver .tie file [1] for Diablo 3?  For starters, I noticed that (it looks like) it overrides dbghelp (native,builtin) and installs the MSVC++ 2008 runtime.  It includes other tweaks as well (that I have not listed here because the file is huge) that might be worth trying.

[1] https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili … diablo-iii - click "Install Now"

Thank you! I will try that later and report! smile

Board footer