You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-21 12:28:34

Fredo

Display not detected with kernel > 4.1

Hi!

I'm pretty much a noob and this is my very first post here, so please don't bite my head off. wink
I have the following problem: I own a Lenovo Yoga 3 11 Laptop which has only a micro HDMI output so I need an adapter for pretty much any monitor I want to use with it. My problem is, that since the update to linux-lts 4.4 the laptop stopped to detect my display (which has a DVI and a VGA input) when I'm using a regular HDMI to micro HDMI adapter. It still works flawless with my micro HDMI to VGA adapter. It's definitely a kernel problem because when I downgrade linux-lts to kernel version 4.1 to starts working again. It also doesn't work with the latest non-lts kernel version (4.5.1-1).

I tested a second monitor and it works without any problems so it's a specific problem of the kernel in combination with the display:
- Monitor 1 (Resolution 1280x1024): VGA input via HDMI-VGA-adapter works with all tested kernel-versions. DVI input via DVI-HDMI cable and HDMI-micro HDMI adapter works with kernel 4.1, doesn't work with kernel 4.4 and 4.5
- Monitor 2: (Resolution 1920x1080): VGA works with all tested kernel versions. HDMI input works with all tested kernel versions.

So now I'm pretty much stuck. I know I should attach some logs but to be honest I don't know which ones are needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Somehow offtopic but nonetheless I want to ask: I tried to install linux-lts41 from the AUR but it stops with "makepkg: Invalid Option: '--pkg'". Any hints on that problem?

#2 2016-04-21 13:19:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Display not detected with kernel > 4.1

Welcome to the forums.  I am unable to help with the display issue, but those who can would likely be interested in the output of `lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D`.  As for the makepkg issue, that should be addressed in a separate thread, though the error message is quite clear.  Apparenly you tried to use a "--pkg" flag for makepkg and there is no such flag anymore.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-04-21 14:16:48

Fredo

Hi and thanks for your fast answer, Trilby! smile

lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D gives me this output on both kernel versions:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)

This output seems correct for me, I suppose?

Regarding the AUR issue: I found out that it's caused by my AUR-helper, because manual buildung of the package works without any problem. So case closed for this issue.

Last edited by Fredo (2016-04-21 14:17:31)

#4 2016-04-23 10:37:17

Fredo

Any ideas?

Board footer