You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-22 12:22:45

rootusercyclone

Computer wakes up immediately after suspend, but only once per boot

My computer is running arch, and whenever I suspend it for the first time after powering it on, it wakes up immediately after it suspends. After that initial suspend, all other suspends work fine until I reboot the machine again. And, seemingly randomly, when I resume it from suspend it will show a black screen on my main monitor (sometimes with a blinking cursor, sometimes without) and will not respond to any input, including ctl-alt-F1, the only solution being to do a hard restart the machine. The weird part is this has happened with other distros I've used recently, including Ubuntu and Fedora. To make matters even more interesting, I get the same immediate resume from suspend on my windows partition as well (again only once until I reboot), making me think that it's a hardware problem. However, I don't get the black screen with windows which makes me think it's a linux issua

Where do I start? I've tried looking in my bios for anything funky turned on but I don't see anything out of order.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, CPU AMD-FX 6300, Video Card GTX 970

#2 2016-04-22 12:45:36

rootusercyclone

Re: Computer wakes up immediately after suspend, but only once per boot

When I get the black screen, no key commands work nor does CTL-ALT-F1/12. I was able to SSH into it but it seems like most commands there weren't working either (my screenfetch wouldn't show and the reboot command didn't do anything)

Last edited by rootusercyclone (2016-04-22 12:47:02)

#3 2016-04-22 15:30:25

JohnBobSmith

That is really weird, especially if it occurs within Windows and other *nix's. Is it possible that your mouse triggers an immediate resume of the system? IE mouse movement brings everything back up? Outright hardware failure/wear is highly unlikely at this time imo. The only thing I can think of is some sort of input that brings the system back up, like a mouse, keyboard, maybe joystick or otherwise. I'm not 100% sure how to do this, but you could log all inputs before/during/after suspend and see if anything shows up. Otherwise probing journalctl and/or dmesg may help.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#4 2016-05-03 08:04:15

Polyatomic

Sat Mar 18 04:04:05 UTC 2017

Last edited by Polyatomic (2017-03-18 04:05:14)

Board footer