You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-04 02:45:30

ralvez
Website

pacman -Syu with an option to exclude certain packages

Is there a way (I've read the man pacman but I did not find an option) to run an update (pacman -Syu) but exclude a specific package?
Let me explain: I work with a large educational institution and I run Arch in my workstation. Recently a new product was introduced but it does not support the latest java VM, so I need to use an older version. If I update my system "the regular way" (which I do at least twice a week) then the newest package will be installed. Now you see my dilemma  :shock:  ... is there a switch I can use to indicate exclusion on a program?
Something like: pacman -Syu x jvm

If there is no such feature, would you (the developers) consider such addition? I think my situation is not unike in the corporate world.

Thanks for any help.

Rick

#2 2006-05-04 03:06:59

elasticdog
Website

Re: pacman -Syu with an option to exclude certain packages

You can just add the appropriate line in your<code>/etc/pacman.conf</code> file to ignore the J2RE package...

#3 2006-05-04 04:53:12

Cagnulein
Website

#4 2006-05-04 21:45:40

ralvez
Website

My apologies everyone ... on re-reading the man I realize that the command --ignore <pgk> is what I was looking for but instead I was scanning for a key like -i or -x or something along those lines.
After reading some of the messages here I realized that I goofed.   :oops:

Thanks for your help guys.

Board footer