You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-25 07:45:53

amiara

[SOLVED]Gnome and other desktop environment broken after latest update

After a recent update, Gnome no longer works, or any graphical environment for that matter. The screen flickers before I see the login page, and keeps flickering indefinitely.

I manage to go to other terminals and restart GDM, but no luck. Other things I have tried which didn't work:

- Issuing "journalctl -p err -b" shows a bunch of errors saying "Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop", these are in gnome-session-binary.
- One time there was org.gnome.wayland or something instead of Shell in the error logs.
- Tried to uncomment "WaylandEnable=false" in "/etc/gdm/custom.conf".
-  Tried downgrading some of gnome packages, including session and shell.
- Tried installing other window mangers (open box, LXDE, awesome) and tried starting them using .xinitrc, but I get a blank screen with LXDE. With others, I just get an error related to libpangoft2-1.0 and X server terminates.
- Disabled some of the systemd services that showed error (Dropxbox and NXsensor, NXserver). These seemed to be unrelated to Gnome problem. Could there be a problem with systemd?
- Tried downgrading xf86-video-intel to a previous version as I suspected maybe it is a video driver problem. (Made the flickering a lot worse and had difficulty switching to a different terminal to revert back.)
- Tried enabling "uxa" as "AccelMethod" in Xorg config file.
- Also restarted the system with the Fallback kernel which didn't work.

Basic X with an xterm seems to work though.

I have run out of options ... Any help is appreciated. This is really irritating. I haven't restarted the system in a long time (which is a bad idea in the hindsight), so I am not sure whether it is a recent update that broke it or a previous one.

Last edited by amiara (2016-04-25 08:48:52)

#2 2016-04-25 08:46:21

amiara

Re: [SOLVED]Gnome and other desktop environment broken after latest update

OK... it seems that the problem was fontconfig-ubuntu package from AUR (the clue was libpagno error). After installing the official fontconfig package, I can now login back to Gnome. There is a strange problem that I have to press Caps lock before entering my password, otherwise it doesn't accept the password (tell me to show the text, which shows my password correctly). I assume this is something to do with Gnome 3.20? Maybe I should ask this elsewhere.

- Also docky is broken now.
- The minimize / maximize and close are all hidden unless the mouse is over them and then they show a blank square. I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

Last edited by amiara (2016-04-25 16:31:03)

Board footer