You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-28 14:59:54

entodoays

"Pin" or duplicate a workspace on an external monitor.

I would like to have a setup with multiple workspaces and two monitors (built-in screen and a projector) for presentation purposes.

I wish to have one workspace always visible on the projector while being able to switch workspaces on the laptop's built-in screen.

In this way, I would be able to view my notes (mindmap, pdf's, etc) on the laptop's screen. When I want I can see what the audience is seeing  I simply switch to the workspace "pinned" to the external monitor.

In short:
Workspace 1 is visible on the external monitor but can be seen on the laptop simply by switching to it as you normally would.
The other workspaces (at least one) are visible only on the laptop.

Is there a way to "pin" or duplicate a workspace on an external monitor?

I use Gnome as my preferred Desktop environment.

Last edited by entodoays (2016-04-28 15:00:43)

#2 2016-04-28 15:40:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: "Pin" or duplicate a workspace on an external monitor.

This is definitely not possible with X11 itself without changing the randr settings each time you change to or from the "pinned" workspace changing between extended-desktop and mirrored-display modes - this is because each window is at some global X11 display coordinates and each output (projector or internal monitor) sees a subset of that display-space.  Changing randr settings could get the job done, but it would likely have many undesirable side effects (change workspaces would not be as smooth as normal, and there'd be resolution changes between "workspaces").

You could have a program that would do this for you though - it would create a duplicate version of the presentation window: one copy would be on the projector, one copy would be on one workspace for your internal monitor.  But this would be a task-specific presentation tool, and not a general purpose tool.

If you want to try the randr approach, it might work decently if you are ok with having the same resolution on both screens - the least common resolution of the two outputs will almost always be lower than the best resolution of the internal monitor.  Then you'd just need to rebind any "workspace switching" keys to actually move your viewport on the internal monitor to either overlap or not overlap the external.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-04-28 18:37:01

drcouzelis
Website

Your question reminds me of openbox-multihead (in the AUR). It allows you to switch the currently active virtual desktop independently on each monitor.

As for me, I just use regular Openbox and "pin" the application (as opposed to pinning a virtual desktop) I want visible all the time so it is always displayed, regardless of wich virtual desktop I switch to.

#4 2016-04-29 00:10:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

drcouzelis, independent desktops on each monitor is easy.  But having the same one one two monitors is impossible unless they are mirrored.  A window can't be in two positions on the display at the same time.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-04-29 02:48:05

Docbroke

@op, I am using i3, and it is certainly possible to have one workspace assigned to external monitor, while other workspaces assigned to laptop screen. However you cannot view the same workspace on both screens without mirroring the displays which will essentially kill your other requirements.
Now if you are using something like libreoffice, it can give you presentation view, where fullscreen presentation is on external screen while you can have your control screen with your notes & presentation slides on your laptop screen (on predefined workspace), in this setup you can change workspaces on laptop display as you wish.

Board footer