You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-02 13:20:06

GLTRV

(wrong section) Drives mounted on startup but not seen as devices.

I've opened a thread in the kernel section, please ignore (or delete) this thread.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1626053

Original post:

Hi, hoping this is in the right section.

The problems have been happening for a few weeks (since kernel 4.5?).

My setup: desktop computer with
-sda: internal SATA SSD (Arch system  and other system partitions)
-sdb: internal SATA HDD (windows data partition)
-sdc: internal SATA HDD (NTFS shared data partition and EXT4 extra linux partition for Steam games)
-sdl: external USB3 HDD (NTFS data partition)

My fstab configuration works fine, ie: system, sdc1, sdc2 and sdl1 are mounted on startup.

There are 2 problems:
1: The drives are not seen as devices, both those that are mounted at startup and those that are not, except sdc2 (EXT4 partition) which is seen. They are not in the device list in nemo, nautilus and the removable drive applet, both in Gnome 3 and Cinnamon if that matters.
2: Automount of external drives does not work. When I plug in a USB drive or SD card (in USB 2 or 3 port), it is not automounted and it does not appear in the device list. The exception is my Samsung S3 phone that is automounted and appears in the device list.

I can see everything in the gnome-disk-utility and mount drives through there (they appear in the device list once I mount them). Running sudo fdisk -l lists everything.

I have used this system and configuration since maybe kernel 3.16 and never had this problem.

udisks2.service is running

Thanks!

Last edited by GLTRV (2016-05-09 17:31:55)

#2 2016-05-08 15:54:28

GLTRV

Re: (wrong section) Drives mounted on startup but not seen as devices.

I've switched to the linux-lts kernel 4.4.9 and the problem is gone.

Board footer