You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-06 20:54:31

SgrA

[SOLVED] Chrome Freezes Laptop with i5, 4 GB RAM and SSD

Hello,

Chromium* not Chrome causes my laptop to freeze after a day or two of use. It gradually starts happening, usually, a day in or so, that after I open a new tab, the disk activity LED glows full (this rarely happens because this is an SSD) and the system load average increases rapidly, going to 10 or 20 in a matter of seconds, unless I close the tab almost instantly. If I allow it to progress without closing the tab, the only option that remains is to pull the power plug. Similarly, some heavier apps like Android Studio manage to freeze it within an hour or two of rebooting, and there's no hope to close Android Studio fast enough to avoid having to pull the plug.

This has cost me a lot of time in the last few days. Please suggest a solution at the earliest. Thank you!

Last edited by SgrA (2016-05-07 11:27:54)

#2 2016-05-06 21:22:11

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome Freezes Laptop with i5, 4 GB RAM and SSD

Can you add RAM to your system?
Are you using a swap partition?
Are you using a swap file?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-05-07 11:27:12

SgrA

Re: [SOLVED] Chrome Freezes Laptop with i5, 4 GB RAM and SSD

I can't add more RAM right now. I wasn't using any swap partition or file. I now added a 1.6 GB swap and the problem seems to have been less severe since. I guess 4 GB RAM is too little these days, I'll buy more soon. Thanks!

Board footer