You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 11:51:39

wowa

[SOLVED] Laptop fell on the ground and is not booting

Hello Guys,

Yesterday, i was lying on the bed and as i stood up with my laptop in hand i managed to step on the charging cable and rip it out of my hands. Well, it massively hit the ground.
The screen was showing a messed up console. So i tried to reboot.

Rebooting is not working as it is stuck in a bootloop so i suspect damage to the ssd (no hdd in the laptop) or possibly yanked out connectors.
Lenovo laptop diagnostics check confirmed all parts are undamaged except the ssd. So i tried starting up a manjaro live usb (for graphics and convenience).

The strange thing is now: I can boot the live usb and everything seems to work and also access the ssd no problemo through manjaro. But i do not know how to make my Arch system boot from the ssd again.

Are there any tests or methods i can use to confirm that my laptop is working properly as well as make my ssd boot arch again?

Thanks in advance smile

Last edited by wowa (2016-05-19 13:53:09)

#2 2016-05-10 13:05:46

aliena

Re: [SOLVED] Laptop fell on the ground and is not booting

Hi,

so what exactly happens if you boot? Does the kernel start up (or any bootloader involved)? Maybe you can make it verbose during boot by removing the "quiet" option from the command line.

Can you mount the ssd in the live system? Do the files look sane, can you read and write them?

Off-topic: I knew some wowa at ETHZ, you don't happen to know him? big_smile

#3 2016-05-12 20:25:17

wowa

Hi aliena,

Haha yes i study at eth, how on earth did you think about asking that?

Well if you are also at eth, i would be glad to meet and sort out my laptop in person smile

#4 2016-05-13 07:15:53

aliena

Let's just say I remember your name, I'm at ETH, too wink

Sure we can meet, rest via PM

#5 2016-05-19 13:55:26

wowa

We meet in person and aliena managed to easily resolve my problem smile, thanks again.

As for my problem, the fall somehow erased the boot partition, so simply reinstalling the bootloader fixed it. Hence consider this thread as solved smile.

Board footer