You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 18:06:36

garnetius
Website

Modified Openbox, tint2 and compton for beautiful desktop

Modified Openbox, tint2 and compton to produce beautiful Arch-themed desktop (and fixed some of their errors).

Openbox gained ability to use true graphical icons in its title bar and has several new theme properties which previously were hard-coded: configurable menu paddings, window selector color, ability to set virtual desktops layout without using setlayout third-party program, etc.

tint2 now supports styling with gradients, has more border appearance options and can extract main icon color and use it in styling of backgrounds and borders.

compton has separate shadow size for active, inactive windows and menus, window border transparency and several more features merged from other contributors. Like smooth gradual dimming, for example.

I won't duplicate all technical details here, they all are available on the relevant github pages. Here are some screenshots also.

I opened pull requests, but upstream is silent, doesn't seem like any developer is at all around. Maybe someone would like to package some of this stuff for AUR.

#2 2016-05-10 18:13:28

satanselbow

Re: Modified Openbox, tint2 and compton for beautiful desktop

You seem quite enthused by it all - why not package it yourself?

#3 2016-05-10 18:27:24

garnetius
Website

I'm not very familiar with AUR package submission and besides, I find it awkward to package myself: I'd rather you guys do that if you actually like this stuff :-)

I just came by to let you know about my work.

#4 2016-05-10 20:48:13

satanselbow

#5 2016-05-11 09:05:42

o9000

Interesting! Indeed there have been requests for gradients in tint2 ( https://gitlab.com/o9000/tint2/issues/245 ) but nobody had time to address them. Nowadays I'm the only active developer and I have very little free time so I focus mostly on bug fixing.

If you want to contribute, I'll gladly accept any kind of help. I'm a little picky about certain changes such as adding new options or changing behavior, but we can discuss and figure it out.

Note that the new repository is on GitLab; there have been many changes since moving from Google Code.

Board footer