You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-13 07:08:06

dragonfly

AnimeWatch Player and ReadManga Client for linux

1. AnimeWatch Player

2. ReadManga Client

3. WebComics Client

Hello friends,

1. In the beginning, I wasn't interested in writing another media player because there are already plenty of good players on linux. I just wanted to write a simple shell script for watching anime from certain websites. But later I wanted to add more features and some GUI elements. And after coding for some time, I realised that I could turn the programme into good media player front-end for mpv/mplayer with addons capability and media management functionality. And thus AnimeWatch player was born. I have created arch specific package which you can install via pacman. I have also created PKGBUILD which is kept in arch specific directory in project specific page, but before using it please check it properly because I don't have prior experience of writing PKGBUILD, although on my system it was working fine with 'makepkg -s' command. If you find some abnormality then report the issue.
I have seen that lot of people from Arch Community are into watching Anime ( easy to guess from their profile picture), sometimes I wondered is there any relation between liking Anime and using Arch? I know we can't say for sure.

If you like Anime, you will most probably like the player. If you don't watch anime, still you may find the player little bit amusing and interesting due to combine audio and video management capabilities.

Actually most of the features of the player can be found in kodi or plex, but I wanted some lightweight alternative with mpv/mplayer backend with better control over addons. Hence I went ahead with the player.

Update: AnimeWatch is now available in AUR as animewatch-pyqt4 and animewatch-pyqt5 (thanks to Arch linux forum member sesese9). Addons of pyqt4 and pyqt5 version are incompatible. Hence whenever user upgrade pyqt4 version to pyqt5 or downgrade pyqt5 version to pyqt4, then they have to manually remove '~/.config/AnimeWatch/scr/' directory, before restart of newly upgraded or downgraded version. Otherwise player won't load addons or might even crash.

2. Second project is about ReadManga Client. I'm not a voracious manga reader, I created the project just to check some aspects of programming skills. But later I found that, it is really very good for reading manga online. With just one 'Down' arrow button, you can read entire manga. Every new page is created dynamically and immediately gets loaded once you reach the end of the page, therefore your flow of reading won't be interrupted.
Just check it out by yourself.

3. Third project WebComics Client is very small programme with hardly 400 lines of code. Few years back I used to use KDE desktop which had a small comics plugin for reading daily comics strips. But later when I switched to LXDE, I was somewhat missing that plugin, hence I decided to write it myself.

I hope people will like these little projects. I've been using free/open source software since many years.And this is the first time I'm myself contributing to the community, and It feels really good to contribute something.

dragonfly

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-07-21 15:19:45)

#2 2016-05-14 03:12:48

sesese9
Website

Re: AnimeWatch Player and ReadManga Client for linux

Definitely am going to test this.. Those flash players are annoying and the fact that KissAnime is supported makes it even better!

What about posting those PKGBUILDS on the AUR? Let everyone else give it try!

Last edited by sesese9 (2016-05-14 03:13:39)

Just trying to figure things out in this world

#3 2016-05-14 06:37:09

dragonfly

These are my first PKGBUILD scripts. I don't have any prior experience writing them. Therefore, I think that it would be better if atleast few people could test it before posting them on AUR. If they are working fine on other Archer's machines then I will certainly post them on AUR.

1 . 'AnimeWatch PKGBUILD'

2 . 'ReadManga PKGBUILD'

3. 'WebComics PKGBUILD'

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-09-17 05:36:50)

#4 2016-05-14 14:54:57

sesese9
Website

I can confirm that the AnimeWatch PKGBUILD works for me. The program so far is simple and efficient for use! I'm loving it so far especially when the image of AoT is in the background while I'm watching it! smile

#5 2016-05-14 16:46:36

dragonfly

It's good to see that AnimeWatch PKGBUILD is working fine on your machine. I will be busy for next few days, after that I'll look into procedure for posting package onto AUR.
I'm glad that you liked the project and found it easy to use.

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-05-14 16:48:52)

#6 2016-05-15 10:13:39

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

sudo pip install pytaglib

This is very bad, you never want makepkg to install things system-wide. python-pytaglib is in the AUR; simply add it to the depends array.

cd "${srcdir}"

This is a no-op, as makepkg already starts in $srcdir.

install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/share/${_pkgname}/"

No need to install -d directories, you can simply use install -t:

install -Dm755 file1 file2 file3 -t "$pkgdir"/...

cat "${_bpath}/AnimeWatch.desktop"

Useless use of "cat", just do sed -i ... file.

echo 'if [ -z "$1" ]; then python -B /usr/share/AnimeWatch/animeWatch.py; else python -B /usr/share/AnimeWatch/animeWatch.py "$(pwd)/$1"; fi' > "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/anime-watch"

Creating scripts in the PKGBUILD lacks clarity, you also miss the #!/bin/sh shebang. Just bundle a script with your package, and add it to the source array.

nm=$(echo $file | rev | cut -d'/' -f1 | rev)

This is a convoluted way to what I assume is removing leading directories. Use parameter expansion instead.

The two other PKGBUILDs have similar issues.

edit: the links broke, replaced with content

Last edited by Alad (2016-06-23 21:30:40)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#7 2016-05-15 18:57:17

dragonfly

Hello Alad,

Thanks for pointing out the anomalies in the PKGBUILD.

Alad wrote:

sudo pip install pytaglib

This is very bad, you never want makepkg to install things system-wide. python-pytaglib is in the AUR; simply add it to the depends array

1. I really did not want to install pytaglib using pip, I myself did not like the method. But few months back I had some problem with python-pytaglib package in AUR, that's why I decided to use this method. Moreover 'makepkg -s' wont pull AUR dependencies and 'yaourt -P' was also giving me some error. 

Before creating the PKGBUILD, I studied some of the popular PKGBUILDs in AUR, and I found that some were installing system-wide third party packages using 'npm' using their PKGBUILD script. Therefore, I also decided to install using pip.

pytaglib is very important component of the programme, therefore I decided to use very unconventional method, because other methods were not working.

But I'll certainly look into the matter after some time.

cd "${srcdir}"

This is a no-op, as makepkg already starts in $srcdir.

No need to install -d directories, you can simply use install -t

install -Dm755 file1 file2 file3 -t "$pkgdir"/...

2. These two points, I took from the existing PKGBUILD in AUR which I studied before making my own. It's good that you cleared the ambiguity.

cat "${_bpath}/AnimeWatch.desktop"

Useless use of "cat", just do sed -i ... file.

3. Here, I did not want to change original file. Maybe 'cp file' and 'sed -i file' would have been better.

echo 'if [ -z "$1" ]; then python -B /usr/share/AnimeWatch/animeWatch.py; else python -B /usr/share/AnimeWatch/animeWatch.py "$(pwd)/$1"; fi' > "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/anime-watch"

Creating scripts in the PKGBUILD lacks clarity, you also miss the #!/bin/sh shebang. Just bundle a script with your package, and add it to the source array.

4. Actually, I decided to add this line at the last moment, because I thought that Archers like to use command line more, hence I created one only for them. I did not want to create special file for just 2-3 lines hence I used the short cut, which is something unconventional. In my original application, there is only desktop file as application launcher. I'm certainly slow learner and many times do foolish mistakes, because without making foolish mistakes it's difficult for me to learn new things. But there is one thing that I always keep in mind while experimenting, that the programme should do no harm to the users.

But you've pointed out good thing, I'll keep that in mind.

This is a convoluted way to what I assume is removing leading directories. Use parameter expansion instead.

5. Here, I was looking for something similar to 'split' command of python, that's why I did something convoluted with my minimal knowledge of bash, which could save my time looking for it's tutorial.
You've given very good tutorial link to bash, I'll certainly give it a try whenever I'll need to create a bash script in the future.

So, finally it seems there are many problems in the  PKGBUILD, Therefore, I'll defer posting it on AUR for time being. If somebody who has expertise in the field will volunteer to remove the problems in the script and post it on AUR, then I'll be more than happy. Because, I think that people who are expert in writing PKGBUILD can do much better job than novice. Otherwise, I'll look into it the PKGBUILD issues once I get some free time for the programming again.

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-06-24 10:13:00)

#8 2016-05-15 19:34:58

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I really did not want to install pytaglib using pip, I myself did not like the method. But few months back I had some problem with python-pytaglib package in AUR, that's why I decided to use this method. Moreover 'makepkg -s' wont pull AUR dependencies and 'yaourt -P' was also giving me some error.

Before creating the PKGBUILD, I studied some of the popular PKGBUILDs in AUR, and I found that some were installing system-wide third party packages using 'npm' using their PKGBUILD script.

That doesn't matter. If you upload a package that does this, it will likely be deleted from the AUR. Same goes for PKGBUILDs that touch files in $HOME, like those npm packages you refer to.

Actually, I decided to add this line at the last moment,

You don't have to add it to your repository, but can simply upload it together with your PKGBUILD, and refer to it there.

Last edited by Alad (2016-05-15 19:35:13)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#9 2016-05-15 20:57:04

dragonfly

Hi Alad,
Thanks for the help and quick reply. Currently I'm not able to install python-pytaglib from AUR, maybe due to some broken dependency after last upgrade,I don't know for sure what the problem is?. Hence, I can't check if pytaglib in AUR is working fine with my application or not. If some one can add python-pytaglib to depends array, and check modified PKGBUILD, then it will be of great help. And if in the mean time, someone want to post modified and technically correct version to AUR then I will be more than happy. Otherwise, I will look into the matter after few days.

#10 2016-05-15 21:11:55

clfarron4
Website

dragonfly wrote:

Currently I'm not able to install python-pytaglib from AUR, maybe due to some broken dependency after last upgrade,I don't know for sure what the problem is?

Please post the exact message from the terminal you are having after a clean build and attempted install for python-pytaglib.

I've just done a fresh build in a clean chroot and installed it just fine here.

Will try adding it as a dependency in the PKGBUILD and watch what happens. DONE Everything builds just fine and it works,

Try this for the amended PKGBUILD:

pkgname=AnimeWatch
_pkgname=AnimeWatch
pkgver=2.1.1
pkgrel=3
pkgdesc="An Audio/Video Manager and Front End for mpv/mplayer with special emphasis on Anime Collection"
arch=(any)
license=('GPL3')
depends=('python' 'python-pyqt4' 'python-pycurl' 'python-urllib3' 'curl' 'libnotify'
        'python-beautifulsoup4' 'python-psutil' 'python-pillow' 'python-lxml' 'mpv' 'mplayer' 'ffmpegthumbnailer' 'sqlite3' 'python-pip' 'python-pytaglib')

#source=("git+https://github.com/abhishek-archlinux/AnimeWatch.git")
source=("https://github.com/abhishek-archlinux/"${pkgname}"/archive/v"${pkgver}-${pkgrel}".zip")
md5sums=('d420797aeced4a916c02932c8098933b')
_gitname=AnimeWatch-PyQt4-Stable

package() {
  cd "${srcdir}"

_bpath="${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}-${pkgrel}/${_gitname}"

install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/share/${_pkgname}/Plugins/"
  install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/"
  install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/"
  # Program
  install -Dm755 "${_bpath}"/{animeWatch.py,musicArtist.py,adb.py,1.png,input.conf,default.jpg,default.html} "${pkgdir}/usr/share/${_pkgname}/"
  cat "${_bpath}/AnimeWatch.desktop" | sed 's/Exec=/Exec=python -B \/usr\/share\/AnimeWatch\/animeWatch.py \%u/g' > "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/AnimeWatch.desktop"
  chmod +x "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/anime-watch"
  #install -Dm644 "${_bpath}/AnimeWatch.desktop" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/${_pkgname}/"

for file in "${_bpath}/Plugins/"*;do
  	if [ $nm != "installPlugins.py" ];then
  		#echo $nm
		install -Dm755 "$file" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/${_pkgname}/Plugins/"
	fi
  done	

}

What is different to the original is that the prepare function is gone completely and the dependency python-pytaglib is added. You will need to build and install the python-pytaglib (sub-)package first.

Last edited by clfarron4 (2016-05-15 21:20:27)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#11 2016-05-15 21:35:50

dragonfly

Hello clfarron4,
It's good to see that modified PKGBUILD is working fine. If possible, please check music section of the application, if it's tagging properly or not. [First add library path to some music files]. Then, I can be sure that pytaglib in AUR is working fine with the application.

I'm getting following error:

(2/2) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python2-pytaglib: /usr/bin/pyprinttags exists in filesystem
python2-pytaglib: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyprinttags.py exists in filesystem
python2-pytaglib: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyprinttags.pyc exists in filesystem
python2-pytaglib: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/taglib.so exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I think maybe some files were not removed during last uninstall of some programme. Maybe I'll have to remove the files manually.

It's over 3:00 AM in the morning here in India, I''m going to sleep now. Tomorrow is busy day for me, therefore I'll update you after some time.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-05-15 21:51:43)

#12 2016-05-16 11:31:45

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Yes, that's what you get when using "sudo pip" instead of a pkgbuild. Just remove the files.

#13 2016-05-16 17:12:32

dragonfly

Alad wrote:

Yes, that's what you get when using "sudo pip" instead of a pkgbuild. Just remove the files.

Yes I got it. Initially my programme was in python2, at that time I installed pytaglib using pip2. After converting my programme from python2 to python3, I forgot the dependency that I installed via pip2, because python3 uses pip, and therefore I got into problem. I almost forgot that few months back I had installed python2 version of pytaglib using pip2 which came into conflict with python-pytaglib package of AUR. After uninstalling pytaglib using pip2, I was able to install required package from AUR, and it is working properly.

I think using more than one package manager can be troublesome for any distro.

I've updated the PKGBUILD. I've removed dependency python-pip (since it is no longer required for installing pytaglib) and added python-pytaglib to depends array.

Thanks, for pointing out the issue as earliest as possible.

sesese9 wrote:

Hello sesese9, If you are using old PKGBUILD then replace it with new one. And before using new PKGBUILD make sure to uninstall 'pytaglib' using command
'sudo pip uninstall pytaglib', otherwise you might also get some dependency or conflicting files problem in future.

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-05-16 17:18:54)

#14 2016-05-16 20:32:29

sesese9
Website

Ok, thx for the updated PKGBUILD! I did what you said and had no errors with the updated PKGBUILD.

#15 2016-07-13 20:26:41

sesese9
Website

Is AnimeWatch deemed ready for the AUR? I think that it would be great. The PyQt4 might be AnimeWatch while the PyQt5-Experimental branch could be AnimeWatch-PyQt5. Anyway, my point is that it would be great to have this on the AUR. I hope you think the same.

#16 2016-07-14 15:38:54

dragonfly

sesese9 wrote:

Is AnimeWatch deemed ready for the AUR? I think that it would be great. The PyQt4 might be AnimeWatch while the PyQt5-Experimental branch could be AnimeWatch-PyQt5. Anyway, my point is that it would be great to have this on the AUR. I hope you think the same.

I think that AnimeWatch is ready for AUR, but currently I’m somewhat hard pressed for time. Hence I won’t be able to submit PKGBUILD, since I’m not familiar with AUR submission procedure. When I’ll get some free time I’ll try to read and understand the procedure. In the mean time, If someone who knows about submission guidelines and want to post PKGBUILD of my projects in AUR, then they can do so, I won’t have any problems.

#17 2016-07-14 15:50:59

dragonfly

Brief update about some changes:

1. QtWebengine support added for PyQt5 version. Separate PKGBUILD is provided for both PyQt5-WebEngine and PyQt4-QtWebkit version in Arch specific PKGBUILD directory. Users can try both and keep the version which they feel most suitable for their system.

I’m going to maintain only PyQt5-Webengine version along with PyQt4-QtWebkit version in future. I’ll abandon PyQt5-QtWebkit version which is kept in PyQt5-Experimental folder. Personally I prefer PyQt4-QtWebkit version over PyQt5-QtWebEngine version since it is far more lightweight and QtWebkit provides much more options and flexilbility compared to QtWebengine. I found that QtWebengine is far more efficient at rendering pages, but adding support for it was a big headache which required rewrite of almost one thousand lines of code with complete different set of logic; since the things which were pretty obvious in Qtwebkit became far more obscure and difficult to implement in Qtwebengine due to changes in API and removal of many features. I’ve managed to implement most of the features using QtWebengine, except one minor feature, which I will try to implement when next version of PyQt will add support for it. (In this project QtWebkit/QtWebengine is utilized to implement headless browser, whenever pages can’t be accessed using ‘curl’. Hence it is very important component of this project for implementing support for addons . Apart from headless browser It has been also used for creating internal browser which can be used by users to manually download fanart or posters for their collections.)

2. System Tray Support Added.

3. proper MPRIS2 support added which can integrate with sound menu applet. I’ve tested this feature with latest Cinnamon and Plasma Desktop.

4. Music mode support added, which you can activate by right clicking tray icon and selecting appropriate entry. It’s minimal mode music player which will remember the last song that you’ve listened using this player, and will quickly switch over to it in the Music section. Latest screenshot of minimal music player is added on the github page.

5. By activating ‘default mode’ , the context will be switched over to last Series along with the last episode that you’ve watched. Therefore, you can directly resume watching the show from next episode.

6. It now remembers most of the settings of last session, so that you don’t have to adjust settings manually everytime you open the player.

Note: Addons of PyQt4 and PyQt5 versions are incompatible. Hence whenever you want to install version of the AnimeWatch whose addons are in conflict with the previously installed version, remove addons directory ‘~/.config/AnimeWatch/src/’ manually, before installing new version or before restart of the new version. Otherwise programme won’t load any addons or might crash eventually.

Note: AnimeWatch player opens with Terminal in the background. It is useful feature for debugging purpose, but if users don’t want the terminal then they can manually edit ‘/usr/share/applications/AnimeWatch.desktop’ file and change ‘Terminal=true’ to ‘Terminal=false’.

#18 2016-07-19 05:08:17

sesese9
Website

I can take on the submission of AnimeWatch to the AUR. It will be two PKGBUILDS to account for PyQt4 and PyQt5-WebEngine (probably (AnimeWatch-PyQt4 and AnimeWatch-PyQt5). If this is fine with you, I can easily submit it for you.

#19 2016-07-19 05:29:27

dragonfly

sesese9 wrote:

I can take on the submission of AnimeWatch to the AUR. It will be two PKGBUILDS to account for PyQt4 and PyQt5-WebEngine (probably (AnimeWatch-PyQt4 and AnimeWatch-PyQt5). If this is fine with you, I can easily submit it for you.

That would be great sesese9. I'm more than fine with it. You are welcome to go ahead.

#20 2016-07-21 20:45:05

dragonfly

AnimeWatch is now available in AUR, thanks to sesese9.
I've updated original post and README on github page.

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-07-22 08:11:19)

#21 2016-09-16 16:04:21

dragonfly

A recent update on Arch broke the python3 bindings for libtorrent, which is causing crashes when trying to use torrent streaming feature. A bug report has already been filed. So till the new version of libtorrent is released with bug fixes, users can use the PKGBUILD mentioned in the bug report by the developer as a temporary fix.

python3-libtorrent is necessary for torrent-streaming feature of AnimeWatch, which has been added since version 2.5.0-0.

#22 2016-09-16 16:43:14

dragonfly

Some Recent Updates in AnimeWatch:

1. Torrent Streaming Feature. {for using this feature, first read previous post on fixing python3 bindings for libtorrent-rasterbar}

2. Media Server Capability.

3. Youtube wrapper using qtwebengine.

For more information, check README index

I've decided to stop developing pyqt4 version, since it's difficult to maintain pyqt4 and pyqt5 version of the same programme. I was maintaining pyqt4 version mainly because of bugs in qt5 and qtwbkit and underdeveloped qtwebengine, because of which pyqt5 version never felt stable and lightweight to me compared to pyqt4 version. But now qt5 alongwith qtwebengine has improved a lot, and hence pyqt5 version of AnimeWatch looks far more stable. Therefore, I've decided to concentrate on PyQt5 version of AnimeWatch only.

As I've made many changes in project, PKGBUILD also needed to be changed.  This is link to new PKGBUILD which is working on my system (based on pyqt5 version).

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-09-17 05:38:52)

#23 2016-09-17 18:13:09

sesese9
Website

Sorry for my delay. I've been busy with my adjustment with college and I haven't reinstalled Arch Linux which has slowed me updated AnimeWatch. I apologize for my delay and will hopefully get it updated in this coming week.

#24 2016-09-18 01:53:04

dragonfly

sesese9 wrote:

...I've been busy with my adjustment with college........

I can understand, college life can be pretty busy sometimes.

...will hopefully get it updated in this coming week

Take your time. Only thing is that test the new PKGBUILDs thoroughly before posting on AUR.

#25 2016-10-18 05:04:27

dragonfly

AnimeWatch 2.9.0 has been released.
Python3 bindings for libtorrent are still broken in Arch, as mentioned earlier in post number 21.
As temporary fix users need to use the PKGBUILD mentioned in the bug report for installing libtorrent, till the issue is resolved, otherwise programme will keep on crashing.

Last edited by dragonfly (2016-10-18 05:06:31)

Board footer