You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-15 12:59:24

Pk_JoA
Website

Sound distorted randomly on playing some Steam games

Hello!

I've been trying to ignore this problem, but it's been getting quite bad lately and couldn't fix it with my usual google-foo, so I've come here for help.

The issue: While playing some steam games (Cities Skylines, Mini Metro... Mark of the Ninja was outright unplayable because it happened way too often), the sound will get distorted. Heavily. It becomes almost unrecognizable. Restarting the game does not solve the problem, the audio will still be distorted. Also, if I exit a game and start another game, audio will be distorted. Audio in all other applications is just fine, I can listen to music or watch a video on youtube. The only thing that seems to work is restarting X: if I exit my i3 session and startx again, the problem will be fixed... until it happens again, apparently at random. Nevertheless, I recently noticed that while I was playing Cities Skylines, the audio got distorted exactly when I started playing a youtube video on the background. Maybe it's connected? Who knows. It happens without any other audio being played too, anyway.

What have I tried: Not much, really. I don't know much about audio. I've been using Linux and Arch for years, but audio always just seemed to... work, so I left it alone. Restarting pulseaudio (pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio start) and alsa don't seem to work. I have also tried adding tsched=0 to my /etc/pulse/default.pa.

Any help is welcome! I'll be happy to post any file required.

Thanks!

Board footer