You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-20 09:11:13

microud

How can I install Arch Linux on a new hard disk as the second system?

Hi, Guys:

I have 2 hard disks in my laptop before and I add another one today. I wanna install the Arch Linux on the new hard disk. One of the old disk has been installed a Ubuntu system and another old one just work as a repository without system. I think the most difficult part is how to deal with the boot loader. So anyone could give me some suggestion?

Thanks.

Last edited by microud (2016-05-20 09:11:52)

#2 2016-05-20 09:12:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: How can I install Arch Linux on a new hard disk as the second system?

Install Arch. Add it to Ubuntu's Grub config. What is the issue?

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-05-20 09:19:40

surfatwork

OP, a bit of reading on how Linux manages/references multiple hard disks, and how grub/any bootloader works would be useful - all of that is Linux basics. What you want is very straight forward once you understand the basics (which you should, especially if you are going to run Arch).
I hope you wont make the mistake of clicking next on a graphical installer without understanding what it's doing

#4 2016-05-22 20:34:42

sevendogs

OP - you should be able to tell what disk the new one is once you've booted to the Arch installer by running lsblk and looking at the sizes of the disks. Write down the device name (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb) and do the install based on that. If you are letting ubuntu take care of booting, no need to install grub on the arch install, but I have no idea what ubuntu capabilities are in terms of adding another OS to grub. I can assume it also has "os-prober" like Arch and you can just run that from ubuntu once you are done, then rebuild the grub config and when you reboot, you should be able to choose your ubuntu or Arch install. I dual boot using multiple disks and this works fine for me. You only need grub on the main disk that controls the booting, if that makes sense.

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

Board footer