You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-22 10:04:11

Xi0N
Website

Using Kodi with a 5.1 system

I currently have arch with kodi using the standalone version, which allows kodi to start without a user logging in (user kodi automatically logs in).
The way I output the audio and the video is via HDMI from the video card (nvidia GTX 970) using the nvidia drivers to a 46'' tv.

The setup was pretty straightforward IIRC, and I can view and listen the media files perfectly.

Now, I want to install and 5.1 sound system and I was wondering if anyone has a similar setup and can tell me if there is anything to change on the kodi system or in arch to make this work properly or if it's plug and play as well.

I ask this because I'm a beginner in the sound world and I'm about to make a pretty important inversion (around $400) and want to make sure it's not going to have any problem at all with mys setup.

Thanks!

#2 2016-05-22 10:50:24

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Using Kodi with a 5.1 system

I think there are options within the kodi GUI to enable this 5.1 or 2.1 or whatever is supported.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2016-05-22 12:58:42

Awebb

More information required. I'll tell you about my setup, so you should have an idea, what we need to know to help you find your answers.

Setup:
Computer running Kodi -> HDMI -> AV reciever connected to 5 speakers and a sub woofer -> HDMI -> TV set.
Kodi running under a normal user in a window manager session (i3 in my case), auto login, autostart of Kodi, fullscreen. Pulseaudio is configured and Kodi is being told to use Pulseaudio. Passthrough mode in Kodi is on, in case a file uses a format my AV receiver understands.

Now for your setup: Do you want to go the receiver route or will a separate sound card be involved? TOSLINK/Optical? Normal 3,5mm jacks? If you want to talk about sound setups in general and beyond Arch, hit that Email button below my picture.

#4 2016-05-23 05:19:05

Xi0N
Website

Awebb wrote:

More information required. I'll tell you about my setup, so you should have an idea, what we need to know to help you find your answers.

Setup:
Computer running Kodi -> HDMI -> AV reciever connected to 5 speakers and a sub woofer -> HDMI -> TV set.
Kodi running under a normal user in a window manager session (i3 in my case), auto login, autostart of Kodi, fullscreen. Pulseaudio is configured and Kodi is being told to use Pulseaudio. Passthrough mode in Kodi is on, in case a file uses a format my AV receiver understands.

Now for your setup: Do you want to go the receiver route or will a separate sound card be involved? TOSLINK/Optical? Normal 3,5mm jacks? If you want to talk about sound setups in general and beyond Arch, hit that Email button below my picture.

Woha, Thanks for your reply smile

I'm kind of new on this so I didn't really get what you said last about toslink and routing, but thanks for the offering smile

What I understood is that I would plug the hdmi i currently plug on the tv to the receiver and from the receiver another hdmi to the tv. I'm learning still but it seems like this kind of setups are plug and play and are handled automatically: i was afraid i'd have to manually edit xorg.conf or alsa/pulseaudio config files in order to make this work, but it seems like I don't.

Thanks again!

#5 2016-05-24 08:17:40

Awebb

If you use receiver with HDMI, it's plug, play and set Kodi to 5.1. If you use 3.5mm analog jacks, some alsa configuration might be requirex, or you use pulseaudio, which is not the monster it was half a decade ago.

Board footer