You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-22 16:20:07

AtheistSpacePony
Banned
Website

How do I get rid of these ugly squares in tmux? [solved]

When I connect through ssh to my file server, and run tmux a -t 0, I get those ugly squares as you can see here:
http://imgur.com/p0Eph09

When I change the font, instead of seeing squares, I see circles or diamonds with a question mark in each one as you can see here:
https://imgur.com/3MyJU3T

They're supposed to be dots btw...
I tried to set the locale:

[fuckuimabird@arch-laptop ~/Pictures/Scrots] $ localectl
   System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: n/a
      X11 Layout: n/a

but that didn't work after restarting lxterminal. I connected to my server through a virtual console, and they're definitely dots, not squares or question marks. So, it's probably a terminal emulator thing, maybe?

I managed to fix it last time, but that was by accident so I don't know what I did. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by AtheistSpacePony (2016-05-23 14:28:52)

Wew lads... that is all...

#2 2016-05-22 16:38:16

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How do I get rid of these ugly squares in tmux? [solved]

You have multiple connections to tmux.  One of them has a window that is smaller than yours and is preventing you from using the full extents of your window.  It is defining the size of the window, so yours is cropping.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-05-22 17:23:45

AtheistSpacePony
Banned
Website

I know that, but it's also affecting sentences in IRC/the rest of the command line. Certain characters are also appearing as these squares and (?) things. Is this a locale problem? They're supposed to be dots, not squares or (?).

Last edited by AtheistSpacePony (2016-05-22 17:24:15)

#4 2016-05-22 17:25:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Have you tried other (gui) terminals?  LXTerminal has it's own font settings, have you tried different fonts in LXTerminal?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-05-22 18:16:23

AtheistSpacePony
Banned
Website

Trilby wrote:

Have you tried other (gui) terminals?  LXTerminal has it's own font settings, have you tried different fonts in LXTerminal?

xfce4-terminal, lxterminal, mate-terminal and konsole all do it. xterm displays 'A's with a ^ over them and a - between each one. Can't get gnome-terminal to load fsr. No output/error given when I run gnome-terminal in the command line.

uxterm however displays the dots I'm looking for, so now I can show everybody what I mean:
http://imgur.com/ub5OmYt

...and as I said, so does tty. So, that's good. But I'd really like to see that in lxterminal and other terminal emulators. I just don't know how to do it. I thought it had something to do with the locale, but as I tried that already, I've realized it probably doesn't.

Last edited by AtheistSpacePony (2016-05-22 18:22:53)

#6 2016-05-22 18:31:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Your locale seems fine, you just need a terminal and font that supports unicode.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2016-05-22 19:48:32

AtheistSpacePony
Banned
Website

I guess now's the time to start using UXTerm then. It's a pain to configure, but it's something I could get used to.

#8 2016-05-22 20:05:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't use lxterminal, but from a quick search it looks like it does support unicode.  But if uxterm works for you, go for it.

#9 2016-05-23 14:28:30

AtheistSpacePony
Banned
Website

I found the solution to my problem here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149556

Board footer