You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-23 03:50:30

YAOMTC

Any proper way to choose an emoji? [SOLVED]

EDIT: Disregard everything after this paragraph, use gucharmap (GNU Character Map). It seems up to date unlike kcharselect and has pretty much everything, far as I can tell. It's separated into Emoticons, Dingbats, Miscellaneous Symbols, and I think a few other categories, but it's best to use the search function. Really should've tried that first.

If I ever want to use an emoji on my KDE Plasma desktop - that is, a glyph that's designed to be an emoji, not an emoticon emulated with text - it's highly impractical to do it any other way than with my Android phone. I do have noto-fonts-emoji installed, and if I *really* want to find an emoji to use on my desktop, I could go into KCharSelect and choose from a very limited selection in Symbols>Dingbats or Miscellaneous Symbols, and the only face emojis I can see among them are "frowning" and "smiling". So this is pretty outdated, not including a large portion of current Unicode.

A second option is available to me if I go to System Settings > Icons > Emoticons and install the Google Hangouts Emoji Complete theme, which does have a much better selection -- BUT not only can I not get it to work properly at the moment (around 15% of them are mixed up for some reason) but they're all in one column, and cannot be searched. So even if they were 100% accurate, this wouldn't be a good method either.

So, what's it like on GNOME? Does there exist out there any character map with proper emoji support? Or an emoji map? This can't be the best we've got.

Last edited by YAOMTC (2016-05-23 04:24:14)

Board footer