You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-24 19:33:55

CKlepka

Issues with Intel Video (Dell 'netbook', Celeron N3050) - ModeSetting?

Hi guys, new here. I recently installed Arch Linux on my Dell XPS (successfully) and love it so much, I decided I wanted to put it on my spare netbook I have laying around. However, I've run into a few problems...

I followed the Beginners Guide step by step, but in order to even get the Live USB to boot, I had to append 'nomodeset' to the kernel parameters, which was fine, everything looked good. Installed everything, got everything up and running by appending 'nomodeset' to my bootloader config. Right now, everything is default and fresh, no additional parameters anywhere, EXCEPT nomodeset for the bootloader config, because otherwise, I get a screen that is TURNED OFF. No backlight at all, just off (but computer is running)..... afterwards, installed all my programs (xf86 synaptics, intel video drivers, tint2, i3, etc). I try to start LightDM and it hangs at a black screen with a flashing cursor. So I went back, installed the vesa drivers and now it works! Except... well everything is zoomed in. I installed xrandr and verified it was indeed at the right resolution... So it seems for some reason my intel drivers are failing. Here's a list of what I've tried:
-'Early KMS'
-'nomodeset' - this has the same effect as installing the vesa driver: it just defaults to vesa
-additional parameters such as 'i915.preliminary_hw_support (which shouldn't be necessary anymore due to kernel updates?)' and i915.invert_backlight, but to no avail.
-i915 in modules line of mkinitcpio
-removing 'nomodeset' from the arch.conf file (which results in the screen turned off as soon as Arch Loads.

Any other suggestions? I've probably tried a bunch but am just forgetting them off the top of my head right now... I don't even really care if I get the Intel drivers working, if I can de-zoom vesa. Not like I'm gaming on this thing.

Thanks a bunch!

Output of lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 22b1 (rev 21)

/boot/loader/entries/arch.conf

title   Arch Linux
linux   /vmlinuz-linux
initrd  /initramfs-linux.img
options root=PARTUUID=1bf3f14f-0ae3-4b3a-8ba5-c58fb9f35829 rw nomodeset

Everything else is all default, as it installs from Arch.

Last edited by CKlepka (2016-05-24 19:40:45)

#2 2016-06-07 22:25:12

timdorohin

Re: Issues with Intel Video (Dell 'netbook', Celeron N3050) - ModeSetting?

Hi! I'm new here too. I have a dell inspiron 3552 (Celeron n3050, 2G RAM, 500G hdd) and i have all these problems.
Most of them didn't exists on 4.1.x kernels. These problems affects also other distribs that i try: Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo...
So, that are result of shitty n3050. Also you can try kernels 3.19.x - they didnt affected, but also haven't hardware acceleration.
P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

#3 2016-06-08 01:29:13

mrlamud

You shouldn't miss  "microcode update", it might help.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode

Another experiment is using builtin modesetting driver instead by uninstall xf86-video-intel and remove 20-intel.conf  in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ , if you have it.

More infos:-
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … ideointel/

Last edited by mrlamud (2016-06-08 01:38:13)

#4 2016-06-08 09:11:17

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Not many ideas here, but this [1] might be worth a look.

Another thing you could try is ssh in to the machine where the screen is off and see if it is just the brightness in the minimum setting. You could also look into the options to the i915 kernel module, specifically invert_brightness and panel_ignore_lid.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ba … ne_options

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer