You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-29 00:50:42

jswenson

[SOLVED]'/dev/sda5 has unsupported features' error after fresh install

Hey guys,

I was running Arch alongside Ubuntu and Windows 10. Everything was going great and I absolutely loved using Arch. I decided that I was going to switch to Arch as my go-to OS instead of Ubuntu so I booted into gparted, deleted the Ubuntu and Arch partitions and set it up with one partition (sda5) taking up half my hard drive (I kept windows 10) and an 8 gb Swap partition. I then booted into the Arch installer and followed the Beginner's Guide, skipping the partitioning steps as I had already done that in gparted. After finishing everything I reboot, get to the grub menu and select Arch and it gives me the following error:

starting version 229
/dev/sda5 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
E2FSCK: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
ERROR: fsck failed on '/dev/sda5'
[   2.865908] EXT4-fs (sda5): Cannot load crc32c driver.
mount: mount(2) failed: No such file or directory
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Does anybody know what went wrong? I've tried doing a few things and reinstalled it multiple times without success. I've tried googling some of these errors and checking the wiki and forums but I'm not finding any answers.

Thanks!

Last edited by jswenson (2016-05-29 04:21:12)

#2 2016-05-29 00:57:51

i_love_r34

Re: [SOLVED]'/dev/sda5 has unsupported features' error after fresh install

I think it's a possible solution to your problem
https://askubuntu.com/questions/747656/ … tu-14-04-4

Regards!

#3 2016-05-29 04:20:46

jswenson

Re: [SOLVED]'/dev/sda5 has unsupported features' error after fresh install

Thanks i_love-r34. That lead me to the solution. What I had to do was this:

Run mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda5 then fsck -yf /dev/sda5. The fsck found a lot of errors and fixed them (don't know what caused that to happen). I then went through the Beginner's Guide steps one more time, this time I ran mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda5 during the setup (I had let gparted handle this last time) and when I rebooted after setting everything up it was good to go.

Thanks! Excited to get more into Arch now!

Board footer