You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-29 01:53:58

pyed

Is it possible to install arch via a rescue image

Sorry about that hazy title.

I've this server and the provider provides a rescue image which you enable from the control panel and restart your server, it'll boot via a small network image which is basically a Debian.

The situation I'm in right now is that I had this server for a little over a year now with a running Debian, and I sat up my 2 drives to form a RAID 0.

things happened and I missed up my kernel, it got deleted along other things, now all I can boot is this rescue image.

after booting this rescue image my raid was able to get assembled and now I can find my raid devices

/dev/md
/dev/md0 <-- swap
/dev/md1 <-- /boot
/dev/md2  <-- /
/dev/md3  <-- /home

I was able to mount them, read and right, what I'm thinking right now is, how can I go around installing archlinux without losing my /home partition, I've installed Archlinux multiple times before and I'm familiar with it, but I've never done it on a server with this kind of configuration and situation.

I'm looking at the installation guide and not sure what to do next.

Last edited by jasonwryan (2016-05-29 01:57:29)

#2 2016-05-29 12:00:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Is it possible to install arch via a rescue image

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux

As for keeping your home - if you want to keep it, just keep it, I don't see how that's a question.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-05-30 11:47:46

DenBrahe

Install Arch from a chroot like in the wiki. When you come to the part where you have to make your filesystems, only format the root partition. You can just mount your /home partition and you will keep your data.

#4 2016-05-30 12:08:08

pyed

I tried to do it, but I couldn't boot my OS afterwards, I think because of how my RAID is arranged, I had to back my data up and re-parition the whole thing.

Thank you guys

Board footer