You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-29 13:18:57

Moosey_Linux

[SOLVED] journalctl using up 100% CPU and filling up memory

Hi all great people on Arch Forum smile

Today I was going to install Arch Linux from a live USB on my newly bought second hand hp ProBook 6475b. To my surprise the system ran at 100% after start up when i look at “top” to see whats going on systemd-journal was using all of that CPU. It took systemd-journal less than 10minuts to completely fill up the computers memory and crashing the howl system. I tried to kill it in “top” but it could not then I tried

systemctl disable systemd-journald
systemctl stop systemd-journald
systemctl reload systemd-journald

Nothing worked the commands was simply timed out.

Then i looked in to what it was logging

journalctl -f

archiso kernel: ACPI Error: No handler or method for GPE 01, disabling event (20160108/evgpe-790)

It lead me to this https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=114201

A bug in Watchdog but most of the advises involves recompiling the kernel that is not an option in my case. While trying to find a solution i was thinking can it really be this hard to turn of the logging. Dose any one have some suggestion on how to fix this problem quick and easy?

Any suggestions would make me grateful other wise I will bee back when I figured it out my self wink

Last edited by Moosey_Linux (2016-06-09 18:50:47)

#2 2016-06-09 18:49:36

Moosey_Linux

Re: [SOLVED] journalctl using up 100% CPU and filling up memory

Hello sorry for being so late whit marking this one as solved I did figured it out moor the on week ago. For my defense i would say that my three week old daughter keeping me up all night is why i forgot it. 

The way to solve it was by giving up the idea of using the archiso and instead install arch on a usb stick giving me the possibility to to black list sp5100_tco in /etc/modprobe.d

All the info on how to do it can be found in the arch wiki

Have a nice day all great arch users

Board footer