You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-30 19:44:05

apastuszak
Website

[SOLVED] Bit Perfect Output Volume

I recently bought a Micca Origen+ USB DAC/Headphone Amp.  I configured mpd to do bit perfect output by setting up my mpd.conf with the following settings:

audio_output {
    type        "alsa"
    name        "alsa audio"
    device        "hw:3,0"
    mixer_type    "none"
}

hw:3,0 is the USB DAC.

The Origen+ has lights on it that tells me the sampling rate of the file I am playing.  Just to test, I played a 24/96 FLAC file and the 96K light came on on the unit.  The Gnome volume adjuster also makes no difference whatsoever to the volume of my headphones, so I assume I achieved bit perfect output.

On the same hardware, when I boot Windows, and use foobar2000 to do bit perfect output using WASAPI, I get the same thing, the 96K light comes on and the Windows volume adjuster doesn't do anything, also leading me to believe that I have achieved bit perfect output.

The volume in Windows is significantly louder than it is when booted into Arch.  If I am doing bit perfect output, shouldn't the volume be the same, regardless of operating system?  Is there some way I can get Arch to be as loud as Windows is?

Last edited by apastuszak (2016-09-06 18:07:21)

#2 2016-05-31 12:31:58

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Bit Perfect Output Volume

apastuszak wrote:

The volume in Windows is significantly louder than it is when booted into Arch.  If I am doing bit perfect output, shouldn't the volume be the same, regardless of operating system?  Is there some way I can get Arch to be as loud as Windows is?

No.

By bit perfect you most probably mean that no resampling is done, the card can still have, and most probably has, a volume control that you should be able to adjust with alsamixer.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2016-05-31 17:56:59

apastuszak
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Bit Perfect Output Volume

Well, I have mpd set up for bit perfect output now and the gnome volume control isn't adjusting volume at all, which is what I want.m  When I restarted mpd, the volume got to the same level as Windows, so I think I am OK now.

Board footer