You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-31 00:57:07

mexchip

[Solved] No "global keyboard shortcuts" in systemsettings lxqt + kwin

I installed lxqt, then kwin to try it instead of openbox, it works quite well but I'm not able to configure keyboard shortcuts since the option does not appear on the system settings application.

I have systemsettings and kglobalaccel packages installed, but still I only get one category in shortcuts configuration:

AelwIhFl.png

Does anybody know if I need additional packages or how to enable the "global keyboard shortcuts" option in systemsettings?

Also, every now and then my screen switches to a "window selector mode" where every open window appears in a smaller size and I can select which one to focus, but I don't know what keys I pressed to "enter this mode", does anybody know it or a list of default keyboard shortcuts for kwin (alt + tab does nothing, for example)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by mexchip (2016-08-12 21:58:49)

#2 2016-06-05 21:10:40

krabat

Re: [Solved] No "global keyboard shortcuts" in systemsettings lxqt + kwin

Installing package plasma-meta will among other complement the System Settings with item "Global Keyboard Shortcuts" at Workspace - Shortcuts and hence allow for configuring the shortcuts of KWin.
Window switching is basically configured in topic "Task Switcher" at Workspace - Window Management. This topic is rather incomplete after installing package systemsettings only but complete after installing package plasma-meta as well. Yet I think the display of windows to choose from you describe is rather corresponding with topic "Screen Edges" from Workspace - Desktop Behaviour.

Obviously package plasma-meta pulls far more stuff than needed here. But those superfluous components are just saved on disk and not necessarily started. Personally I never bothered checking which packages are the ones that are really needed in order to configure KWin on LXQt.

The lack of a tool other than the KDE System Settings to configure KWin is a major drawback regarding its usage on LXQt, IMO.

#3 2016-06-06 15:52:10

mexchip

Re: [Solved] No "global keyboard shortcuts" in systemsettings lxqt + kwin

krabat, thanks for your reply.

krabat wrote:

Installing package plasma-meta will among other complement the System Settings with item "Global Keyboard Shortcuts" at Workspace - Shortcuts and hence allow for configuring the shortcuts of KWin.

Yes, installing plasma-meta made the item appear in Shortcuts workspace:

2L97Xcl.png

However I was getting this message when trying to edit it:

AahHcX8.png

Running kglobalaccel5 manually fixed this error, so I added it to LXQt autostart options and now it works fine, I was able to edit the "Walk Through Windows" to the [Alt+Tab] keyboard combination to be able to switch windows.

I'd like to comment that, once I was able to configure the "Global Keyboard Shortcuts" in systemsettings, a ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc file was created where I could find a list of all possible shortcuts.  So I removed the plasma-theme package (and its dependencies) keeping this ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc file, and the [Alt+Tab] shortcut still works. So the programs are there to have it working, just the item is not appearing in the Shortcuts workspace. (I have to mention that, without the plasma-meta package, I'm just able to switch windows but no preview list is shown)

krabat wrote:

Window switching is basically configured in topic "Task Switcher" at Workspace - Window Management. This topic is rather incomplete after installing package systemsettings only but complete after installing package plasma-meta as well. Yet I think the display of windows to choose from you describe is rather corresponding with topic "Screen Edges" from Workspace - Desktop Behaviour.

Yes, I checked the "Screen Edges" and it seems the behaviour is configured there, I'm not able to trigger it at will though, but I'll have a look at it later, I was trying to find it out as an alternative for window switching.

krabat wrote:

Obviously package plasma-meta pulls far more stuff than needed here. But those superfluous components are just saved on disk and not necessarily started. Personally I never bothered checking which packages are the ones that are really needed in order to configure KWin on LXQt.

I've just found out they just add the item to the Shortcut workspace.

krabat wrote:

The lack of a tool other than the KDE System Settings to configure KWin is a major drawback regarding its usage on LXQt, IMO.

Agree.

Thanks again for your help smile.

Board footer