You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-03 10:03:26

cxrx1975

[NVIDIA] XServer wrong resolution | resolution issue i3 with nvidia

Hey guys,

I have been using Arch Linux for over 1 year now. I'm quite happy with it since I have begun studying.
Nevertheless, everything is working on my notebook and old computer, but my latest computer with some new components struggling a bit and I'm out of "mana".
I installed nvidia driver

pacman -Sy nvidia

.. and for the settings (GUI)

pacman -Sy nvidia-settings

blacklisted noveau driver with blacklist.conf in

/etc/modprobe.d/ 

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA)"

shows:

VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 680] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 2821
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Here are some pictures, whom describes the problem perfectly
problem.jpg

nvidia.png

nvidia2.png

nvidia3.png

Last edited by cxrx1975 (2016-06-03 10:04:53)

#2 2016-06-03 17:19:26

onslow77

Re: [NVIDIA] XServer wrong resolution | resolution issue i3 with nvidia

Hello!

Welcome to the Arch linux community!

cxrx1975 - I suggest you do the following:
- Install packages the right way, see the "red warning and Installing specific packages" section at: Arch linux pacman wiki page
- Update you post with a clear description of the problem and use this as a guide on how to ask questions

Example of unclear information in your post:
- I can not see the error output from the console in your picture. Use code brackets instead so that the forum comunity can read them.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-06-03 17:30:41)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2016-06-03 17:49:03

cxrx1975

My bad, I thought the picture would be enough.
It's not a problem in the installation procedure and I was in a hurry so I kept it shortly.
As you can see in the first picture, the i3status and also xterm terminal title does not fit into the right resolution. Its not just them. Every graphical program, which I run, does not fit in comparison of the general resolution(1920x1080).
The dispay resolution of programs is too small regarding to general resolution.
It means...
- there is no error in console output
- nvidia driver is loaded
- noveau is being blacklisted

I don't know how I can fix that. Even looking for keywords in google, archlinux forum and some other distro forum does not giving me good results.
I have read some article about xterm, i3 documentation, nvidia configuration. Every article does not list my problem or leads to it.

When I load noveau driver everything looks good but turning to nvidia-driver leads me to wrong resolution in xterm, i3status and every other graphical program.

Last edited by cxrx1975 (2016-06-03 17:54:00)

#4 2016-06-03 19:09:17

onslow77

cxrx1975 wrote:

It's not a problem in the installation procedure and I was in a hurry so I kept it shortly.

Hello!

cxrx1975 - Please read the description: how to install a single package and why you should not use the following:

pacman -Sy package_name 

To investigate your resolution problem, I suggest you think like in the following examples:
- Have I followed the Arch wiki pages about how to install and configure xorg and nvidia
- What happens if I load another wm/de
- What happens if I start start a basic environment with .xinitrc 

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-06-03 20:48:21)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

Board footer