You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-03 23:49:14

JohnBobSmith

Questions about the "closing, for deletion" statements [SOLVED]

Greetings,

So I browse the dustbin often for many reasons. However, when a user requests a thread be closed, moderators always right something like "closing, for deletion, by OP request". Why does it really matter if the deletion/closing was by a request or by an error on the users part? What's the difference from adding the "by request" part and just saying that the thread is now closed/deleted?  Is there some sort of forum policy?? I haven't figured that out. This is purely a curiosity thing though. I think the moderators and admins here do a fantastic job with their work, and I have no complaints. smile

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-06-03 23:59:47)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#2 2016-06-03 23:53:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Questions about the "closing, for deletion" statements [SOLVED]

No policy, just a courtesy.  Having a thread closed, and especially marked for deletion, looks like a public chastizing of he OP.  Often it is.  But when it is not, it is nice to be clear that the reason for closing/deletion was not anything that the OP did wrong.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-06-03 23:59:30

JohnBobSmith

Ah that makes sense. I appreciate that smile

I'll mark this one as solved since I have my clear-cut answer. Thanks again!

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#4 2016-06-04 00:08:10

ewaller
Administrator

Also, the moderators are spread across the globe -- partly by design so we are on-line at different times.   Sometimes the things we write are clues to the other moderators as to why we did things.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-06-04 04:37:42

JohnBobSmith

Oh yes, of course. That makes perfect sense too. smile

Board footer