You are not logged in.
Hi guys, I have my keyboard set up as UK International, which has the German character ß accessible by AltGr+s.
[adam@rakka ~]$ localectl
System Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
VC Keymap: uk
X11 Layout: gb
X11 Model: intlI am quite fond of keeping the UK layout, but I wanted to add the nonstandard "capital" variant of ß, namely ẞ (U+1E9E) to it.
I so far have two almost-identical means of doing this using xmodmap; namely a .Xmodmap file containing one of the following two lines:
keycode 39 = s S s S ssharp U1E9E ssharpkeysym s = s S s S ssharp U1E9E ssharpBoth of these appear to have the same effect, which is that I get ß with just AltGr+s, and I get ẞ with AltGr+shift+s.
However, I want the opposite behaviour when the Caps Lock state is on, namely then that I get ẞ with AltGr+s and ß with AltGr+Shift+s, i.e. for it for function just like a normal letter would, in that the Caps Lock state and Shift essentially invert each other.
I have tried for an hour and a half to get this to work, and to find someone online who has done the same (searching for this is almost impossible as search engine results only give entries about disabling the Caps Lock key or similar). Does anyone know how I can make this work?
(I think this is possible if I were to shift over to using a Compose key, but I'm so accustomed to my current typing workflow, and this addition seems like such an obvious extension of the default behaviour of what I currently have, that I'm very much hesitant to consider that entire change.)
Last edited by aphirst (2017-07-31 21:22:36)
ArchLinux | x86_64 | linux-ck-ivybridge
ThinkPad X230 | 12.5" | i5-3320M (2.5GHz) | HD 4000 | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 2TB HDD
ThinkPad T430 | 14.1" | i7-3520M (2.9GHz) | GF108M (NVS 5400M) | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 1TB HDD | 500GB HDD
Offline
This issue becomes now much more relevant given that ẞ is now a part of official (at least, state-level) German orthography.
Whom would I need to contact in order to see whether this change could ever be reflected in the uk-intl layout upstream?
ArchLinux | x86_64 | linux-ck-ivybridge
ThinkPad X230 | 12.5" | i5-3320M (2.5GHz) | HD 4000 | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 2TB HDD
ThinkPad T430 | 14.1" | i7-3520M (2.9GHz) | GF108M (NVS 5400M) | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 1TB HDD | 500GB HDD
Offline