You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-07 18:42:59

littlegigs

[SOLVED] Trying to install Stremio

Hey Guys,

I copied the PKGBUILD code from the AUR and ran "nano PKGBUILD"  then pasted the code into nano saved and exit.

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … tremio-bin

I then proceeded to run makepkg -s and it advised me the stremio.desktop was missing.

Im guess there is a vital step im missing in installing AUR's as the last time this blocked me was when a missing .patch file was not present.

No one seems to be complaining about this so I am just trying to lift my ignorance on this matter.

Do i need to create an empty .desktop file? and the PKGBUILD will do the rest or do I need to put some sort of code into the .desktop file to make it an icon? and then the PKGBUILD will work.

Or hopefully there is an easier way to go about this?

Regards,

James

Last edited by littlegigs (2016-06-07 19:40:01)

#2 2016-06-07 18:54:50

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Trying to install Stremio

There are three files in that AUR package.   You copied just the PKGBUILD.  But, you get an A for ingenuity smile

Grab the package like this:  git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/stremio-bin
This will create a directory, and all three files will be in there (the PKGBUILD, the desktop file and and install file)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-06-07 18:59:55

littlegigs

@ewaller

Oh wow ok I have learnt something now, thank you so much for that.

Just a question :
Do I want all my applications to be installed to /usr/share  which based on what I am reading in the PKGBUILD is where it is going to install the application? is that considered the go to application folder.?

Thanks again for your advise.

Regards,

James

#4 2016-06-07 19:12:52

ewaller
Administrator

That answer used to be a lot more complicated, but Arch (and other distributions) have started to pare down the Standard Heierarchy and has combined some of the /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin stuff.

But, I am not the expert on packaging, so I'll defer on the real answer. 

I can say that PKGBUILDS should not install  to /local or to home directories.  Under /local, there are /local/bin, local/sbin, ...  This is where you should put things that are not installed by PACMAN that are unique to your system.  Things like scripts you write that need to be available to everyone on your system.   Things you write that only you have access to go in $HOME.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-06-07 19:14:52)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-06-07 19:39:24

littlegigs

Ok thank you for the information, I feel a lot better with this new found knowledge.

Regards

Board footer