You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-10 19:22:05

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

[Request] VMware Server

VMware Server is the successor to the commercial VMware GSX server, which is now obsolete.

It is free to use and will stay that way.

It is still in beta , build 23869 now.

On my work i am testing the windows version, and sofar it looks good.
It lacks the team features of VMware Workstation, but has perl scripting support, a C API and the console allows you to connect to VMware server installations on other machines.
I think many people who now use VMware workstation can switch to VMware server without problems.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2 2006-05-10 21:57:00

iggy

Re: [Request] VMware Server

have you a pkgbuild for it?

did I understand that correctly, that vmware server is like wmware workstation? but it is free? that is cool!

mfg iggy

sorry for my bad english smile

#3 2006-05-11 20:55:40

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

iggy wrote:

have you a pkgbuild for it?

did I understand that correctly, that vmware server is like wmware workstation? but it is free? that is cool!

mfg iggy

I don't have a pkgbuild, pkgbuilds for the vmware products are above my skill level (although i intend to get there in the future).
I hope someone with better package building skills will try it.

There are many similarities between workstation and server, and it is free and will stay free.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2006-07-12 19:24:37

Purch

I just installed the free wmware server ( http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server.html ).  I used the wmplayer wiki procedure like Chrism7 did. It would be great If someone could do a pkgbuild for wmware-server if possible.

In the above link they say:" VMware Server may be redistributed by third parties. Please email for more information."

#5 2006-07-13 05:12:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Note. VMWare server has reached 1.0 release milestone.

coolness. smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2006-07-13 05:33:21

iBertus

can someone comment about how this runs in comparison to qemu  when hosting WinXP on linux? I've been using qemu for awhile to run the few Windows applications I need without having a separate Windows partition. Would it be worth my effort to switch over to VMWare server?

#7 2006-07-13 09:29:37

Jefg60

well iBertus, vmware player was much faster running xp on my arch system than qemu! I'd expect the same to be true of vmware server too.

#8 2006-07-13 11:04:14

iggy

can someone create a PKGBUILD? would be nice wink

sorry for my bad english smile

#9 2006-07-25 21:59:39

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm assuming nobody's been able to PKGBUILD this yet? I tried myself, using Mikos' vmware-workstation as a starting point, but I couldn't get it going, and as I needed it in a hurry, I installed it the (ab)normal way instead i.e. using VMware's install script. I will have another crack at it at some stage (if nobody else gets there first), but in the meantime, I've built myself a new kernel, and it occurred to me that we really should have a separate package for the kernel modules, as we do with other apps that come with their own module(s) e.g. wlan-ng, lirc, unionfs, etc.

So here it is. It saved me the hassle of running the entire config script again, just to get two kernel modules. Others may or may not find it useful. I'm not putting it in the AUR for the moment, in case someone else comes along with a conflicting "full service" PKGBUILD.

Change the _kernver variable to match the kernel you want to build for.

PKGBUILD

# Contributor: Tom K <tomk>

pkgname=vmware-modules
pkgver=1.0.0.28343
_realver=1.0.0-28343
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="VMware Server kernel modules"
depends=('kernel26')
source=(http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/VMware-server-${_realver}.tar.gz)
md5sums=('a25b4beb53785c05ef3b3077d87f6e2b')
url="http://www.vmware.com/products/server/"
license="custom"
install=$pkgname.install

_kernver=2.6.17-ARCH

build() {
  # Build and install modules
  for mod in vmmon vmnet
  do
    cd $startdir/src/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source
    tar xf ${mod}.tar
    cd ${mod}-only
    make HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/${_kernver}/build/include || return 1
    install -D ${mod}.ko $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/${_kernver}/misc/${mod}.ko
  done

# Copy EULA and license information
  cd $startdir/src/vmware-server-distrib/doc
  for doc in EULA open_source_licenses.txt
  do
    install -D $doc $startdir/pkg/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/$doc
  done

# Update install file
  sed -i -e "s/KERNEL_VERSION=.*/KERNEL_VERSION=${_kernver}/g" $startdir/$pkgname.install
}

vmware-modules.install

# arg 1: the new package version
post_install() {
  # updating module dependencies
  echo ">>>"
  echo ">>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ..."
  echo ">>>"
  KERNEL_VERSION=2.6.17-ARCH
  depmod -A -v $KERNEL_VERSION  > /dev/null 2>&1
}

# arg 1:  the new package version
# arg 2:  the old package version
post_upgrade() {
  post_install
}

# arg 1:  the old package version
post_remove() {
  post_install
}

op=$1
shift
$op $*

#10 2006-07-29 22:28:21

pizzapunk

I have made a PKGBUILD for VMware Server. For the moment there is no separate package for the kernel modules. This is my first package with such complexity, so some comments would be nice.

#11 2006-07-30 16:29:20

tomk
Forum Fellow

Firstly, good work - thanks. smile

I've added some initial comments in the AUR.

#12 2006-10-08 19:57:21

Romashka
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

I'm assuming nobody's been able to PKGBUILD this yet? I tried myself, using Mikos' vmware-workstation as a starting point, but I couldn't get it going, and as I needed it in a hurry, I installed it the (ab)normal way instead i.e. using VMware's install script. I will have another crack at it at some stage (if nobody else gets there first), but in the meantime, I've built myself a new kernel, and it occurred to me that we really should have a separate package for the kernel modules, as we do with other apps that come with their own module(s) e.g. wlan-ng, lirc, unionfs, etc.

So here it is. It saved me the hassle of running the entire config script again, just to get two kernel modules. Others may or may not find it useful. I'm not putting it in the AUR for the moment, in case someone else comes along with a conflicting "full service" PKGBUILD.

Wow. Thanks! This saves much time!
I use vmware-workstation, so I didn't know about this PKGBUILD until this post.
Can you please add it to AUR?

I don't have an access to my Arch Linux system now, so...
1) Will this work for vmware-workstation? (of course when changing source URLs and some paths)
2) Then, I suppose, calling vmware-config.pl is not needed. I don't remember exactly, is there some script to configure just vmware virtual network adapters?

to live is to die

#13 2007-03-29 15:29:53

scottro
Website

I didn't even think to check the forums for a PGKBUILD--for the last two days, following the wiki and another article somewhere, I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to install vmware server. Then, I found this--thank you VERY much, it worked a treat.

Board footer