You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-10 01:25:01

Texbrew

[SOLVED] Arch Install over Wifi

The ethernet connection on my Asus K52F laptop stopped working some time ago, causing me to feel locked in to a linux distro I no longer favor as my "daily driver". I wanted to install Arch Linux on this machine, but I didn't think it was possible without a wired internet connection.

A post in Newbie Corner https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 4#p1632454 somehow caused me to take another look at the wiki Beginner's Guide, where there are instructions for connecting to the internet, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e_Internet and it occurred to me that these intructions are to be carried out while running the Arch install media. Two instructions seemed to be the key to establishing a wifi connection,

# iw dev
# wifi-menu -o wlp2s0

I decided to test it. To prevent any accidental breakage to the existing OS on the Asus, I removed the hard drive and booted the Arch ISO DVD.

iw dev

listed my wifi device as wls1, so I typed

wifi-menu -o wls1

then was able to ping google.com and another well-known web server.

I can happily report the install on the Asus laptop succeeded. I used a spare hard drive on which install the base and base-devel plus alsa-utils, the X window server and related packages.

It's important to note, you need to install some wifi packages before rebooting into your hard drive. I chose connman since I was already somewhat familiar with it.

My new Arch install is pretty bare-bones at the moment. On the to-do list are openbox, a browser, gnome-terminal and some other useful software.

Thanks to the Arch team, maintainers of the Arch Wiki, and to simo8989, who posted the topic which led to a successful install with no wired internet connection.

To the forum moderators, if this topic is a rehash of another thread, I was unable to find it.

tex

Last edited by Texbrew (2016-06-10 01:44:51)

Board footer