You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-10 03:45:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Should someone contact antergos regarding their users?

Seem to be seeing plenty of antergos questions. Out of curiosity I went to check their wiki and forum out, and (unlike other derivatives) they don't seem to have a clear sticky/announcement warning users not to post in the Arch forums.

Should a (active) mod or someone just drop a friendly email requesting that in their direction?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2016-06-10 08:37:38

Silkworm205

Re: Should someone contact antergos regarding their users?

I looked at their FAQ and saw this.

Q: "What is unique about Antergos?"

At the system level, there is no difference between Antergos and Arch. When you run Antergos, you are running Arch Linux. The difference is a philosophical one.

I'm not convinced asking will yield much fruit as this implies that Arch IS Antergos.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#3 2016-06-10 15:16:06

JohnBobSmith

Silkworm205 wrote:

At the system level, there is no difference between Antergos and Arch. When you run Antergos, you are running Arch Linux. The difference is a philosophical one.

I'm not convinced asking will yield much fruit as this implies that Arch IS Antergos.

That is the most amount of bullshit I have seen in a long time, pardon the french! I'm going to need to un-read that FAQ and send my penguin army of Arch-powered death to the Antegros forums...

I'm (mostly) joking, but that FAQ entry makes me mad!

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-06-10 15:20:29)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#4 2016-06-10 15:22:39

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

What is unique about Antergos? wrote:

At the system level, there is no difference between Antergos and Arch. When you run Antergos, you are running Arch Linux. The difference is a philosophical one. Where Arch is designed "for the competent Linux® user", Antergos is "for everyone". (--side note: you will begin to see this in our branding very soon) The Antergos community welcomes anyone who wishes to participate. New users need not be afraid to ask a question in our forums or IRC channels.

Read the whole entry.

Antergos is much closer to being an archlinux fork then a derivative distro.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2016-06-10 15:53:09

fsckd
Forum Fellow

They put a disclaimer in their IRC channel. May be they can do so in other parts of their community.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2016-06-10 16:06:25

JohnBobSmith

I would rather them change that bad FAQ entry to state that antegros is based off of arch linux, not that it literally *IS* arch linux. And, at the top of FAQ in big bold shiny colorful letters, they should state that all antegros users must only post on their boards because arch linux does not support antegros.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#7 2016-06-10 16:14:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

JohnBobSmith wrote:

And, at the top of FAQ in big bold shiny colorful letters, they should state that all antegros users must only post on their boards because arch linux does not support antegros.

Do we have any such statement at the top of our FAQ that arch linux users must only post on our boards because the ubuntu/fedora/cent os/etc does not support arch linux?

A reasonable request for a revision of the existing FAQ statement will just end up ignored if it is followed up by such hypocritical nonsense.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2016-06-10 16:35:23

JohnBobSmith

I see nevermind then XD

#9 2016-06-10 22:51:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:
JohnBobSmith wrote:

And, at the top of FAQ in big bold shiny colorful letters, they should state that all antegros users must only post on their boards because arch linux does not support antegros.

Do we have any such statement at the top of our FAQ that arch linux users must only post on our boards because the ubuntu/fedora/cent os/etc does not support arch linux?

A reasonable request for a revision of the existing FAQ statement will just end up ignored if it is followed up by such hypocritical nonsense.

The main difference here would be that Arch Linux isn't derivative or based off debian/ubuntu/fedora etc. A disclaimer would certainly seem appropriate, though all the rest of the previous poster's hyperbole obviously isn't.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2016-06-11 00:52:10

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

The only solution I see here is that "derivates" stop advertising of being "compatible to Arch". Not implying to go to Arch for support in the first place is better than patching things up with a warning.

Of course, people who want free advertising are likely to stick to these claims. Especially for marketing a one-size-fits-all solution to implied "incompetent users".

Anyway, not sure what discussing this here helps. Contact the Antergos people, and take it from there.

Last edited by Alad (2016-06-11 00:55:26)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#11 2016-06-11 00:55:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Who should do the contacting though?

#12 2016-06-11 00:57:37

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Anyone willing. If they're not interested, a position in the Arch community won't tip the scales.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#13 2016-06-11 02:16:04

ewaller
Administrator

It is not that tough to dust bin them as we see them.  It does not impact your friendly moderators bandwidth all that much wink
We do appreciate when members drop us a report when you see them though.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#14 2016-06-11 03:23:36

Allan
Pacman
Website

Isn't the Antegros lead a TU?

#15 2016-06-11 03:28:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Allan wrote:

Isn't the Antegros lead a TU?

Yep. https://www.archlinux.org/people/trusted-users/#faidoc

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#16 2016-06-11 17:32:00

teateawhy
Website

I wonder how many undercover antergos users are infiltrating this forum smile

#17 2016-06-11 19:28:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

teateawhy wrote:

Reading the boards every day, my sense is that the percentages look like this:

• Derivative distributions: Manjaro, Chakra, et al: 15%

• Pre-installers: 65%

• ARM: 10%

• Debian, Fedora, RHL: 5%

• Arch: whatever is left...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#18 2016-06-11 19:32:09

dockland

jasonwryan wrote:
teateawhy wrote:

Reading the boards every day, my sense is that the percentages look like this:

• Derivative distributions: Manjaro, Chakra, et al: 15%

• Pre-installers: 65%

• ARM: 10%

• Debian, Fedora, RHL: 5%

• Arch: whatever is left...

Good to know at least somewhere i'm  in the "core" 5% smile

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#19 2016-06-11 22:59:57

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

teateawhy wrote:

Until they are caught and their thread is binned. With a possibility of being (perma)banned if they complain too much that $DERIVATIVE is Arch and we are obliged to support them.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#20 2016-06-12 17:37:46

Wyn

We encourage our users to always use the Antergos forums for any issues, but some will always slip through the cracks sadly.

teateawhy wrote:

Lurk maybe once a month.

Silkworm205 wrote:

At the system level, there is no difference between Antergos and Arch. When you run Antergos, you are running Arch Linux. The difference is a philosophical one. Where Arch is designed "for the competent Linux® user", Antergos is "for everyone". (--side note: you will begin to see this in our branding very soon) The Antergos community welcomes anyone who wishes to participate. New users need not be afraid to ask a question in our forums or IRC channels.

Cherry-picking...

Antergos Forum/IRC Moderator

#21 2016-06-12 18:05:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for joinin us here Wyn - I assume from your pronoun use you are part of the Antergos team.  (edit: D'Oh, it's in your sig ... I hope that's new and I wasn't that blind the first time around.)

We'd certainly appreciate it if you could make it a bit more explicit that - at least for the purposes of seeking community support - Antergos is not archlinux.  This will help us a bit, but it should also help build your community: Antergos users should engage with the Antergos community.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#22 2016-06-12 20:30:42

Wyn

Trilby wrote:

Thanks for joinin us here Wyn - I assumed from your pronoun use you are part of the Antergos team.

We'd certainly appreciate it if you could make it a bit more explicit that - at least for the purposes of seeking community support - Antergos is not archlinux.  This will help us a bit, but it should also help build your community: Antergos users should engage with the Antergos community.

We'll be having an internal discussion how to keep users over here (Antergos) instead of invading Arch with our problems.  We already have our forums linked on every single page that should be used for all Antergos users.

And yes, I am one of the moderators on Antergos cool.

#23 2016-06-12 21:23:17

whoops

Wyn wrote:

We'll be having an internal discussion how to keep users over here (Antergos) instead of invading Arch with our problems.

Well... you DO supply the default configuration files, so... DNS spoofing? big_smile

#24 2016-06-12 21:59:34

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Hi Wyn, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to consider our concerns.

I want to emphasize that we distinguish Arch and Antergos as separate distributions for practical reasons. We are not familiar with all the ways Antergos works. The developers of Antergos have every right to set up their distribution however they want. We can't keep track of their choices, but those who use Antergos can. Quality of support for Antergos users is higher in your community than in Arch's.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#25 2016-06-13 01:03:59

Wyn

fsckd wrote:

Hi Wyn, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to consider our concerns.

I want to emphasize that we distinguish Arch and Antergos as separate distributions for practical reasons. We are not familiar with all the ways Antergos works. The developers of Antergos have every right to set up their distribution however they want. We can't keep track of their choices, but those who use Antergos can. Quality of support for Antergos users is higher in your community than in Arch's.

Trilby wrote:

Thanks for joinin us here Wyn - I assume from your pronoun use you are part of the Antergos team.  (edit: D'Oh, it's in your sig ... I hope that's new and I wasn't that blind the first time around.)

There is nothing on our site that implies users should/could seek help on the Arch forums.  When it's brought up we actively discourage it smile.

Trilby wrote:

(edit: D'Oh, it's in your sig ... I hope that's new and I wasn't that blind the first time around.)

You were blind wink.

Last edited by Wyn (2016-06-13 01:07:06)

Board footer