You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-10 15:59:15

epinephrine

Music stops playing (over DP) when screen turns off

I sent audio via DisplayPort to my monitor (Dell U2515H), into which I have my earphones plugged.
When the screen goes blank after the specified timeout or because I issue xset dpms force off, music also stops playing (in my case, most of the time coming from Spotify).

Is it possible to turn off the screen but still send audio via the DP link to the monitor?

Using pusleaudio, Xorg, i3, Spotify.

#2 2016-06-11 02:40:56

ectospasm

Re: Music stops playing (over DP) when screen turns off

Sadly, I think that's a feature of your monitor.  When the display is off, the monitor is probably turning off the audio channel.

This is a shot in the dark, but I have a similar problem with my Amazon FireTV set top box connected to my TV.  My FireTV box is connected via HDMI to my home theater receiver, and if I'm listening to music the FireTV would pause it when I shut off the TV.  I relatively recently discovered that if I press Play while the TV is off, the music would start playing again without needing the TV to be on.  If you have multimedia keys on your keyboard you may be able to resume the music by pressing the Play key.  But that may also wake up the monitor.  YMMV.  I said it was a shot in the dark.

#3 2017-02-19 15:21:00

epinephrine

Re: Music stops playing (over DP) when screen turns off

It is like you said. When the monitor goes dark, it doesn't send the audio signal to the headphone jack any more... I now plug my earphones into the soundcard's jack directly.

Board footer