You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-11 20:47:17

MarthaParkin

Love Nedit's simplicity but it keeps crashing :(

It is  lovely basic tool. I just wanted a simple editor to whip out for quick temporary copy and pastes and vim is not necessary for such things.

Unfortunately nedit seems to crash a few times in the last couple days since I installed it. It happens when I am about to save a file so the worst time! I have lost the data because the screens go blank and I cant x out I have to kill the task from task manager.

So ideas towards a solution or suggestions for equally elegant and unintrusive/lightweight notepad type editors?

I might just jump to another if there is an equally nice one around. The more basic the better in this case. I love the oldschool look of nedit though however aesthetics are certainly only a mild diversion and that would not affect my decision on which editor to go with.

Maybe Ill just use vim. The only reason I havent is because it isnt in the menu bar and it isnt a graphical editor so I wasnt sure it could be opened from a menu like that vs going to terminal first and running. but if i can get it to run from a menu as simply as a graphical editor ill probably just do that.

Last edited by MarthaParkin (2016-06-11 20:49:46)

#2 2016-06-11 20:58:43

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Love Nedit's simplicity but it keeps crashing :(

No idea about nedit but for other text editors take your pick.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-06-11 23:08:59

smirky
Website

If it's really crashing, then I guess it would create a coredump.
It's up to you to get some relevant information about the crash and check: https://sourceforge.net/p/nedit/bugs/

Personal spot  ::  https://www.smirky.net/  ::  Try not to get lost!

#4 2016-06-11 23:49:12

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

I use nano for basic config file editing and script writing. It's very simple, but quite adequate for most tasks.

What window manager or desktop environment do you use? Terminal applications (like vim and nano) can be run from most GUI menus.

If you are still using LXDE you can create a .desktop file that will run an editor in a terminal. http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu

If you want a simple GUI editor, try leafpad or mousepad.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#5 2016-06-12 01:08:20

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Maybe some configuration or extra you have added is making nedit crash, have you tried renaming the configuration files and/or directory and check if it is still crashing?

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#6 2016-06-12 11:15:21

MarthaParkin

2ManyDogs wrote:

I use nano for basic config file editing and script writing. It's very simple, but quite adequate for most tasks.

What window manager or desktop environment do you use? Terminal applications (like vim and nano) can be run from most GUI menus.

If you are still using LXDE you can create a .desktop file that will run an editor in a terminal. http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu

I set it up using a .desktop file but Im having issues making the terminal go to the right size. Since I use size 22 text the box is huge by default.

I have half solved this with lxterminal.desktop. I changed the --geometry. This opens the first tab fine for lxterminal sessions but if i do new tab then it opens the huge one again. I find it useful to have a few terminal tabs open at once so would like to solve this.

Likewise opening vim it always opens straight to the huge one.

I tried adding alias lxterminal='lxterminal --geometry=80x25' to my bashrc as advised in This thread and reset but it didnt help.

I would like the terminal to open initally at x by y size no matter where it is opened. ie from the menu, from a terminal program as in vim's case or when opening a new tab in lxterminal. So far I can only get it to open the right size when opening lxterminal from the menu by adding exec=lxterminal --geometry=80x25 to the lxterminal.desktop file. So how to make it global?

#7 2016-06-12 11:28:36

syg00

Hmmm .... nedit. Memories from long ago - I looked at it because of the promise it could be extended "easily". Motif was a pain, then development stopped ....

Maybe it lives again ?.

#8 2016-06-12 11:29:19

MarthaParkin

2ManyDogs wrote:

Oh leafpad is a beauty smile screw nedit smile although I still would like to fix the terminal issues Im having above.

#9 2016-06-12 11:38:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

MarthaParkin wrote:

Maybe Ill just use vim. The only reason I havent is because it isnt in the menu bar and it isnt a graphical editor

gvim.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2016-06-12 11:46:33

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

If we are going the way of recommendations I'd say give geany a try, you can hide all the IDE stuff and turn it into a quite powerfull text editor.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#11 2016-06-12 12:32:44

MarthaParkin

Leafy seems like just what I was after. I don't want powerful just light clean and functional.

Any word on a solution for the terminal issue though? I really interrupts workflow having to resize the terminal all the time. It is kind of unrelated to my OP but came up as part of it related to vim opened in terminal.

#12 2016-06-12 12:45:50

Slithery
Administrator

You may want to mark this thread as solved and open a new one with a more descriptive title for your terminal issue.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer