You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-15 18:51:31

rlees85
Website

Cinnamon bell / alert sound now plays from PC speaker

This has been a problem for ages that I have been trying to crack when I have had a spare 5 or 10 minutes here and there but so far have got no where so just wanted to see if anyone else has had it and sorted it.

This has happened on two completely different PCs, the only thing in common is that they are Arch Linux and using Cinnamon DE.

This happened when Cinnamon 3.0 was released.

Before Cinnamon used to play a nice normal subtle splash sort of sound on terminal bell or alert in general. Unfortunately, now, it just plays a loud and annoying beep through the PC speaker.

I have checked dconf-settings, it looks fine. It is pointing to the default cinnamon bell.ogg that does exist.

Muting the PC speaker/etc is a workaround (possibly) but not a fix.

Anyone else noticed this? or even better fixed this?

#2 2016-06-15 19:36:40

madpierre

Re: Cinnamon bell / alert sound now plays from PC speaker

I don't have the problem but as I recall either Pulseaudio and/or the Gnome-Alsa mixer have/has controls for enabling and disabling system sounds. And perhaps changing them? Of course, I've also been accused of having a few pixels missing from my memory at times...

As far as the pc speaker:

# rmmod pcspkr

# echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

# reboot

Note: You may still hear pc speaker beeps on boot-up (pre-login) depending on your mobo and firmware config.

Last edited by madpierre (2016-06-15 20:28:34)

#3 2016-06-20 22:07:19

rlees85
Website

Seems like a hack, I wouldn't mind finding the cause. Seems like its just me having the issue - I'll look into it when I get time and raise a bug report / post that I did something stupid and fixed it as and when smile

#4 2016-06-21 14:59:58

madpierre

Seems like a hack, I wouldn't mind finding the cause. Seems like its just me having the issue - I'll look into it when I get time and raise a bug report / post that I did something stupid and fixed it as and when smile

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … eaker_beep

Board footer