You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-17 01:26:44

process91

[Solved] Erratic mouse movement on touchscreen laptop

I have a Lenovo Y70-70 touch. I've had Arch installed on it for about a year with no issue, but recently I've been experiencing an intermittent problem with no obvious precursor wherein the cursor will suddenly jump to the bottom center of the screen, and move around nondeterministically. Commonly, this will occur when I'm watching a YouTube video, but has also happened when I'm using the touchpad. If I try and move the mouse using the touchpad, it quickly jumps back to the bottom of the screen, so I'm unable to use it when this happens. It is identical to the behavior one would expect if someone was repeatedly pressing on that location on the touchscreen.

Strangely enough, I've been able to reliably stop it by running my hand along the bottom of the screen, "wiping" the screen along the bottom, after which point the cursor stops jumping and I can control it with the mouse, but the touchscreen no longer responds until I restart. If this sounds like a funky hardware problem - that's what I thought at first also, however the laptop dual boots to Windows and I use it approximately as often and never experience this situation there.

What package is related to touchscreen input? I'd like to try downgrading a relevant package to see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited by process91 (2016-06-21 20:14:24)

#2 2016-06-21 20:14:12

process91

Re: [Solved] Erratic mouse movement on touchscreen laptop

This ended up being a hardware issue - can reproduce on Windows, just took a little longer to show up.

Board footer