You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-21 01:31:26

kisik21

GRUB2 - Trying to terminate EFI services again

Hello, forum users!

I've recently tried to install Arch on Asus VivoTab Smart ME400C (UEFI without CSM, 32-bit Bay Trail (if I remember correctly)), and it won't even boot the installation USB without some modifications.
But even these modifications, such as adding Grub2 as $USB/boot/EFI/bootia32.efi (standard path for 32-bit UEFI) I cannot boot Linux properly.

Each time I try to bootstrap kernel as usual, for example:

grub> linux /boot/arch/i686/vmlinuz # some kernel params taken from syslinux archiso config
grub> initrd /boot/arch/i686/archiso.img
grub> boot

This error pops up, and all suddenly stops:

Tried to terminate EFI services again

I experimented, and found that using linux16 doesn't produce any errors. It produces literally nothing. No kernel, no disk activity, no errors. Nothing.

Attempt to load EFI shell caused black screen and nothing else. Maybe I was impatient, bu I am not sure.
Tails and Ubuntu also weren't booting when I tried to boot them.

#2 2016-06-22 18:40:17

olive

Re: GRUB2 - Trying to terminate EFI services again

Does grub boot or is it only the kernel that does not boot? Are you trying to boot a 32 bits or a 64 bits kernel? If your processor support it, grub should be able to load a 64 bit kernel on 32 bits efi; but your processor has to support it. The efi shell must match the architecture (32 bits for you); have you tried both the version 1 and 2 of the shell? Can you try to install the shell at the standard boot location /boot/EFI/bootia32.efi to see if it loads.

Last edited by olive (2016-06-22 18:44:27)

#3 2016-06-22 22:44:08

kisik21

olive wrote:

Does grub boot or is it only the kernel that does not boot? Are you trying to boot a 32 bits or a 64 bits kernel? If your processor support it, grub should be able to load a 64 bit kernel on 32 bits efi; but your processor has to support it. The efi shell must match the architecture (32 bits for you); have you tried both the version 1 and 2 of the shell? Can you try to install the shell at the standard boot location /boot/EFI/bootia32.efi to see if it loads.

Grub boots succesfully, and even gets to the menu, if it is present on the boot medium. i686 kernel does not seem to boot, but should, because my processor is 32-bit. EFI shell should match architecture... But I need to experiment with it. Maybe I downloaded wrong file. And, by the way, shell at /boot/EFI/bootia32.efi does not boot, skipping to Window$, which I want to replace.

#4 2016-06-23 06:53:20

olive

The first thing to try is to launch the efi shell, if you can boot grub it is very unlikely that you can't boot an EFI shell. Please try the shell v1 and shell v2 (on my 3 years old desktop computer, only v1 works) and ensure that the architecture match your efi.

Note that grub is not the easiest boot manager to troubleshot. Note that some "32bits" tablets have actually a processor that supports 64bits. On these devices grub (and only grub AFAIK) can boot a 64 bits kernel.

Board footer