You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-23 21:56:14

monkeypants

[SOLVED] gsfonts (gimp) changes my desktop appearance.

I've recently been setting up i3 on Arch, following a few guides on how to make it look pretty and copying some dotfiles that others had provided.  I have been pretty happy with how it looks, but when I installed Gimp earlier today all of my fonts changed.  I'm pretty sure I know why but I'd like to work around the "problem"

Gimp comes with gsfonts.  I think that my config files were specifying some fonts that I didn't have installed and so were falling back to a default font, then when I installed Gimp and gsfonts, the previously missing fonts were found.  The problem is that I don't like the new fonts.

I tried to comment out the fonts in the config files but that results in an even uglier desktop.

Prior to installing gimp/gfonts and the appearance I am after

After installing gimp/gfonts, notice that i3bar has also changed

After removing font lines from .Xresources

It's also effected other programs such as gedit.  Before and after.  My dotfiles are available on github if it helps.

How can I retain my original appearance after installing Gimp?

Last edited by monkeypants (2016-06-23 23:32:03)

#2 2016-06-23 22:01:08

monkeypants

Re: [SOLVED] gsfonts (gimp) changes my desktop appearance.

I found this thread that appears to have the same problem, but I don't understand what the solution was.

#3 2016-06-23 22:57:36

Steef435
Website

monkeypants wrote:

Gimp comes with gsfonts.  I think that my config files were specifying some fonts that I didn't have installed and so were falling back to a default font, then when I installed Gimp and gsfonts, the previously missing fonts were found.

Good idea.

You can use fc-match to see what font gets provided for a certain identifier. Your .Xresources file lists PragmataPro as the preferred font. So, to find out what font is actually used:

fc-match PragmataPro

Does the value change depending on whether or not gsfonts is installed?

If so, you can simply specify the font you like (which you have determined earlier using fc-match) in your .Xresources file. You can do the same for GTK+ (which gedit uses) according to the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GT … figuration

If that's not enough (for GTK+), you could have a look in the fontconfig section in the wiki. There's a *lot* you can do with font configuration, like actually setting the default fallback fonts, which is a better option if you use a lot of graphical tools. i3bar will probably ask for "monospace" or whatever, also depending on your configuration.

Does that do the trick?

Last edited by Steef435 (2016-06-23 23:00:29)

#4 2016-06-23 23:29:54

monkeypants

Steef435 wrote:

Does that do the trick?

Yes, perfect!  Oddly I had run fc-match previously and the result was empty.  'fc-match PragmataPro' returns Nimbus Sans with gsfotns installed, but Liberation Mono without.  I've updated my dotfiles and repo with the fixes.

Board footer