You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-26 03:38:21

zerophase

[SOLVED]Rnsapshot backup point quickly filling up.

I have rsnapshot running with hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly backups. It has been fine so far, until I added a 130 GB virtual hard drive for Windows. I'm quickly running out of space on the 3 TB partition from this.

I'm not really sure how to solve this issue, other than getting a larger hard drive (ideal) or just excluding backing up the virtual machine. I definitely want it back up so I don't lose everything on a roll back.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to back up the virtual machine? Just having a separate backup point that runs less frequently for vms?

Last edited by zerophase (2016-06-28 03:26:07)

#2 2016-06-26 04:15:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Rnsapshot backup point quickly filling up.

Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-06-26 17:32:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

rsnapshot makes a new copy if there's any changes. Which will be all the time for VM hard discs. You will end up excluding it anyway.

You could:-

1. Run a separate backup script for the VM hard disc, maybe max 3 copies.
2. Run a backup from within the VM of important data within the VM (preferable if possible).
3. Depending on what VM you're using, there may be an option to make the hard disc read-only. You'd need to disable this for software updates etc. but it would make sense for some of the more common use-cases for virtual machines (running one or two specific softwares). You'd need to reconfigure your VM software to save data in an external location though, a shared folder or network folder.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2016-06-28 03:25:47

zerophase

Thanks, I'll just write an rsync script that runs after shutting the VM down.

Board footer