You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-27 14:44:44

UniqueActive

[SOLVED] Need help with installing systemd, instructions unclear

This is my first Arch installation attempt and I have only used Linux for about a month, so my knowledge is very limited.

I don't understand this point in the Beginner's guide:

When successful, create a boot entry as described in systemd-boot#Configuration (replacing $esp with /boot), or adapt the examples in /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/.

This is right after installing systemd-boot.
Where do I replace this? I wasn't able to make this out in the systemd-boot configuration section in the article this is referring to either, help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Simply replace the "esr" with "/boot" if you followed the configuration of the beginners guide.

Last edited by UniqueActive (2016-06-27 16:18:06)

#2 2016-06-27 15:07:04

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] Need help with installing systemd, instructions unclear

Where do I replace this?

I don't use systemd-boot, but my guess would be wherever you see esp in italics on the systemd-boot page. It's a community maintained wiki so styling and typographical conventions are not always consistent.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-06-27 15:07:47

Slithery
Administrator

The replacement takes place in the names of the files you need to edit/create.

In your case this means editing the file /boot/loader/loader.conf and creating the file /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2016-06-27 15:20:26

UniqueActive

Thanks, I just noticed. Still I don't quite understand what to put into the arch.conf (I named it arch).

title          Arch Linux
linux          /vmlinuz-linux
initrd         /initramfs-linux.img
options        root=PARTUUID=14420948-2cea-4de7-b042-40f67c618660 rw

I don't understand what I am supposed to put at linux, initrd and options, or if I even have to use them, or what I have to do alternatively for my configuration.
Could you help me on that?

#5 2016-06-27 15:22:12

Rethil

ESP is your EFI System Partition. If mounted as /boot simply replace it with boot in every path that contains esp in guide.

Let's say that you have separate /boot and /boot/EFI, if so, esp is /boot/EFI, if not, esp is /boot. Assuming you did manage your partitions and mount points right so far.

About config, depends what kind of kernel is installed. For example, if linux-lts is installed /vmlinuz-linux sholud be changed to /vmlinuz-linux-lts and /initramfs-linux.img to /initramfs-linux-lts.img. If it's not the case you're good.

In options root=UUID=... you need to put your root partition UUID (kinda self explanatory). If you did genfstab check your /etc/fstab for reference.
rw means that system partition will be mounted read/write. You could also put there any kernel option that should be passed at boot time.

Last edited by Rethil (2016-06-27 15:32:44)

#6 2016-06-27 15:33:02

UniqueActive

Alright, I will try it and see if it breaks everything smile

#7 2016-06-27 15:44:59

Rethil

I doubt it will. If so far you've done everything right you could always boot installation media and change bootloader entry.

#8 2016-06-27 15:59:33

UniqueActive

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot for your help!

#9 2016-06-27 16:02:32

ewaller
Administrator

UniqueActive wrote:

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot for your help!

Cool smile  Be sure to edit your first post and prepend [SOLVED] to the thread title.

Thanks.

Edit:  I note the title is already pretty long.  You may need to edit it slightly to get everything to fit

Last edited by ewaller (2016-06-27 16:03:31)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer